Smoky Mustang V-Twin Kohler

Have_Blue

Threads
Hello everyone. I'm new here, but some of you may remember me from TBN for 12-14 years.

Bought the Troy-Bilt Mustang about 5 years ago, and it's always been smoky and runs with unimpressive power. When new, I assumed it would break in and stop smoking.

Over the years, it seemed to burn oil until the level was real close to "add", but never seemed to go below the add level.

So,,, I quit adding oil, and the smoking is much less and nearly stopped. That brings up a question.

Normally, oil is checked by unscrewing the dipstick/filler cap. Then you wipe, and dip without screwing the cap back in. I lost my manual, so is this engine different? Or could the filler neck not be pressed into the block the correct depth?

Incidentally, save for noise due to thin metal vibrating, and a weak starter since new, this 50" mower has been very reliable. The blades are very hard, and stay sharper longer than any blade I have ever used in 55 years of mowing.

Thanks,,,

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler had issues with one of there engines with smoking on inclines that was installed on z turn mowers. I believe is was a courage twin but They went through different breather changes, and dipstick changes, and finally determined that the oil level was too high and came out with a new dipstick. Basically it dropped the oil level like 8 ounces, which is about the difference of screwing in the dipstick when checking the oil.

Have_Blue

Threads
Kohler had issues with one of there engines with smoking on inclines that was installed on z turn mowers. I believe is was a courage twin but They went through different breather changes, and dipstick changes, and finally determined that the oil level was too high and came out with a new dipstick. Basically it dropped the oil level like 8 ounces, which is about the difference of screwing in the dipstick when checking the oil.

Thanks so much ILENGINE. Sounds just like what my Kohler does. I guess my instincts were right, because I let the oil run on the low side and it ran fine. It would have been very nice of Kohler to send out a tech bulletin!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Two or three actually to the dealers. the first one mentioned the lack of the gasket in the breather assy which was a breather repair kit. One talked about the first one only fixed some engines, so number two talked about a different dipstick. the third mentioned the breather repair kit, complete with the new dipstick.