Any safety stories out there?

mumptia

Threads
The thread on oil starvation and slope percentage got me thinking about a fellow I know who was in a ride on mower accident a couple of years back because of too steep a slope.

He was mowing a dugout bank and the machine barrel rolled. He was thrown down the bank and when the mower got to him he stuck a hand out to deflect the machine but the blades were still going full tilt.:shocked:

I'm not sure if he bought the mower with the seat switch disengaged or he did it himself.Either way he has a hook for a hand now.

Gruesome story but a solid lesson for us all to keep the maintenance up.

Ventrac

Threads
This was a post we just put up on our blog this morning stressing the importance of ROPS. Safety can never be stressed enough. This blog post is not just about Ventrac, but it should be something all tractor manufacturers keep in mind.

Just to take out a little snippet of the post: "Fatalities from tractor accidents, specifically, rollover incidents, account for more than 50 percent of all tractor related deaths, but with the proper use of ROPS, Rollover Protective Structures, along with seat belts, these accidents have a 99.9% chance of being prevented."

Family Helps to Raise Awareness on the Importance of ROPS - Ventrac Compact Tractor Blog

On the subject of safety switches. They are there for a reason and need to be inspected frequently to make sure they are all functioning properly. Sad to hear what happened to the gentleman that you know, but he is lucky he only lost his hand!