The History of Jacobsen Mowers

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jacobsen isn't a big brand these days in terms of consumer (homeowner) products. They now specialize in equipment used on golf courses and similar applications.

I found this illustrated time line (PDF) of the company's evolution from 1921 to 2007.

One thing I'm curious about that I couldn't clarify on their website (jacobsen.com): I think they stopped making two-stroke mowers sometime in the mid-1960s. Does anybody have any details about that?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
To give homeowner-type members like me an idea of what market Jacobsen is into these days check out this video [an ad produced by the company]:

That thing cuts 16.5 acres an hour.:biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's a video of a 1947 Jacobsen Lawn King. It's a two-stroke, reel mower -- very sturdy looking but heavy as a result.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Neat old reel...
I prefer the steel or wooden, full width roller on the back... and the weight never seemed to be too big a problem... :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Neat old reel...
I prefer the steel or wooden, full width roller on the back... and the weight never seemed to be too big a problem... :smile:KennyV

The caster is a curiosity -- I guess it makes it easier to turn but almost all reel mowers have some kind of roller. I like the wheels and tires on the sides and the overall construction of the machine.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just found these photos of a "Jacobsen 26" Estate mower". I don't know when it was made -- can anybody help me?

1446u4g.jpg

Another pic:

2jbwdpk.jpg

Last one:

34xfhqv.jpg

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's a video of a two-stroke Jacobsen rotary mower -- it looks like it's probably 1960s vintage. I like the grease fittings on the wheels and the large tank.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
This video shows a late 40s or early 50s Jacobsen Manor 21 reel mower. It seems to be in very good running order.

I like seeing these old mowers in action.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
This video shows a late 40s or early 50s Jacobsen Manor 21 reel mower. It seems to be in very good running order.

I like seeing these old mowers in action.

Now that's the type reel mower that I wish I had as a kid, back in the 50's :smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
This video shows a circa 1937 Jacobsen rotary mower. The video was posted somewhere in another thread but it belongs here so it's worth re-posting.