RSD doesn't need choke to start.

JohnCardin

Threads
Ok, not sure if this is an issue or not, but figured I'd ask others. When starting my now 3-hour RSD, If I pull up the choke when trying to start, it won't start at all. If I push down the choke it will start and run just fine. I see the linkage moving what I suspect to be the choke on the engine.

Is this something I need to worry about?

-John

Update: Just looked at the manual and it says to put it at 1/2 throttle to start. I had not been doing that but will try this week to see if that's the issue.

Last edited:

Kremeneon

Threads
I'd been having some trouble starting when completely cold, found out it needed more than idle throttle...

my process now for dead cold engine (sat overnight):
full choke, half to 2/3 throttle (lever at the engage PTO picture)
crank, fires up about instantly, then quickly press the choke button down/open and reduce throttle to near idle.

I've found that once you start the engine once it will fire right off from idle and zero choke the rest of the day, even after sitting for 3-4 hours.

JohnCardin

Threads
Turns out I didn't RTFM. Putting the throttle to halfway, choke all the way up and it starts within 1/2 second.

I was just doing it wrong.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Turns out I didn't RTFM. Putting the throttle to halfway, choke all the way up and it starts within 1/2 second.

I was just doing it wrong.

Easy mistake and as you found...when all else fails, read the instructions:0)
Also, my Gravely recommends for my Kawasaki FX691V that after shutting off the choke immediately after starting to allow the engine to run 2-3 minutes at half throttle to allow the oil to completely circulate before "putting a load" on the engine(i.e. engaging the trannies or PTO). When it's so much fun to mow...I find it difficult to not fire it up & go:0)