Price Check Simplicity Legacy (not XL). $3,500 good price?

Carl in CT

Threads
Hi, posted this on the buying/pricing forum but thought this might be the better place where all of the Simplicity expertise is. I saw a Simplicity Legacy garden tractor at my local dealer the other day. It is NOT the XL model, just the regular Legacy. I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone about it for long but got some basic info. They are asking $3,500 for it. It looks really clean at a glance.
Not sure of the exact year but 7-10 years old.
25 horse Kohler Command.
Shaft driven mower and drive.
NOT power steering.
NOT 4wd (don't need that anyway).
60 inch deck.
385 hours.

I have an old backhoe/loader already, an old Troy bilt horse rototiller (with new B&S engine) and a decent 9hp snowblower so I don't need attachments, etc. All I want is a good tough lawn mower to replace my tired 1997 Wheel Horse. I want one that will do a good job on my hilly 1.5 acre lawn with obstacles (swingset, stuff like that) with my 235 pound self on it.

So does this seem like a good price I should jump on or not so much. What else could I get new for under $4,000 (not from a box store) that would hold up well?

UPDATE - I went to look at it and it does have power steering and the year is 2000. Also has 340 hour, not 385.

Last edited:

benski

Threads
Heck, if it's clean and what will fill the bill, do it.:cool:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
......So does this seem like a good price I should jump on or not so much. What else could I get new for under $4,000 (not from a box store) that would hold up well?

My buddy got a JD 425 for around what you're looking to pay - JD's are everywhere used in that price range, and you might have better luck on parts......unless you're looking at a Simplicity dealer.....

Carl in CT

Threads
As it turns out I passed on this one. It was a nice mower but the 60" deck would not have fit in my shed anyway. This same dealer had a sweet very low hour Simplicity Presitge come in for the same money but newer, with bagger and plow/chains but someone snapped it up so fast I never even got a chance to see it. I looked for used Deeres but the few I saw were waaaaaaay overpriced. Apparently everyone who owns a Deere around here must have them gold plated. :laughing:

I am a happy camper though because I ended up with a new leftover 2010 Simplicity Conquest from another dealr at his cost. I spent a lot more than $3,500 ($5,200 to be exact) but I didn't have to come up with all of the cash now because I got 1.9% financing for 5 years and it is still new so it has the full warranty. This mower has a 50" deck and believe it or not I notice the difference from my old 48" deck and I'm glad it's no bigger than it is with all of the uneven places, hills, etc in my lawn.

The only glitch is the engine takes a few extra seconds to warm up, takes a couple extra cranks to start and bogs ever so slightly in very tall, thick grass. The dealer said he thinks it's just a little gunk in the carb and he is going to try to get Simplicity to warranty the carb and put a new one on it. He blamed himself for that, he didn't expect to have it for a year just running long enough to go back and forth from the front lawn of the dealership to the garage. If they won't let him put a new carb on it he will at least warranty it for him to take the carb off and clean it out and make sure it runs perfect at no cost. Honestly, it's so minor it's hardly noticable at all but I am picky and want it to be perfect at least while it's brand new.

Oh, I also sold my 1997 Toro/Wheelhorse for $1,200 Saturday. It was a good tractor and I think it was a fair deal because it's better than a new box store mower costing $2,000 or more. So the whole thing seems to be working out well for me so far, knock on wood.

Attachments

• 2010 Conquest Front.jpg
    2010 Conquest Front.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 19