Repairs Simplicity steering problems

Threads
My 2004 Simplicity Prestige has all of a sudden become almost unsteerable. There seems to be a "catch" where the steering sticks and it literally takes brute force to move the steering wheel. It finally breaks loose so you can turn, but the next time you try to turn, same problem. Is there a grease fitting somewhere that I can't find?

Homer1952

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it manual or power steering? Pull up the boot that surrounds the steering column which is just below the steering wheel & make sure the universal joint is tight. I think there are two hex head bolts. Also make sure the pinion & sector gear are properly engaged when looking from the underside of the mower. - Bob

Threads
Thanks Bob,

It is power steering, so I'll look for the conditions you brought up. I'm afraid it's the whole power steering column, a major expense. I'll get back to you and tell you what I've found.

Kirk

Homer1952

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Kirk,
If the u joint loosens then it will be hard to turn. Make sure you have enough hydraulic oil in the tank also. If there is a prioirity system, then if low, the transmission may get priority. The u joint is easily replaced. But I just reworked mine with larger cap screws. The clearance is very tight in that area. So, if the cap screws loosen (which they can & I have seen) they will catch in that area, causing it hard to turn. Good luck

viper8u2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks,

Great input! I'll give those suggestions a try.

Hello, I found this thread by way of google.

I have the exact same problem with my Simplicity Prestige. I purchased it May of 2004 and it is has the power steering and hydraulics for lifting deck etc.

You described exactly what I am running into, turning left I will hear it bind and it will get stuck, I have to forcefully turn it and it will move again.

Thanks

Mike

**Update, while I was thinking about it, I ran out to the garage to look at the u-joint under the steering boot and one of the hex bolts had come completely out and the other one was loose. I put the other back in and tightened them both up and it seemed to steer normal. I will know when I mow tonight. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

copycat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found this on google search. I have a simplicity conquest lawn tractor about 3 years old. Steering randomly catching and locking up. I have power steering. Had to forcefully move the wheel.

Same solution above. (thank you guys!!)
(u-joint is for the tilt wheel)
Lift up from bottom the ribbed boot right under steering wheel. Only need a few inches pulled up from bottom.
There will be 2 bolts on outside casing. If the nuts come off the bolt will rub against U-joint causing it to bind.
I found one nut off but in was laying inside down below.

This type of problem you don't want continue long. If the u-joint keeps rubbing the bolt threads will get damaged.
Was a tight spot to get a wrench into. I found a old flat steel wrench that fit.

Talked to my dealer, seems lots of bolts anymore are from china. I had all sorts of problems with broken or loose bolts on this tractor.
Some bolts feel too light and I can tell they aren't good quality. My older simplicity conquest was built better.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Using blue Locktite on threads or self locking nuts should be used.

erickat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a similar issue w/ steering on a Simplicity mower - I believe it's a manual mower - the steering is very loose & you have to oversteer to keep it going straight. I looked down below where the steering shaft connects to the gear - and it appears that it connects in a slot - and as you steer, that slot moves - so you have to steer alot to get a little movement - the nut is very tight, so it's not a "being loose" thing on the gears - but I don't understand why the huge slot is there - and why it is slipping.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a similar issue w/ steering on a Simplicity mower - I believe it's a manual mower - the steering is very loose & you have to oversteer to keep it going straight. I looked down below where the steering shaft connects to the gear - and it appears that it connects in a slot - and as you steer, that slot moves - so you have to steer alot to get a little movement - the nut is very tight, so it's not a "being loose" thing on the gears - but I don't understand why the huge slot is there - and why it is slipping.

I believe you'll find the slot isn't the problem. Usually the problem is from a lack of lubrication, and a very worn bushing at the steering shaft end, and very worn pinion and sector gear because of the same lack of lubrication.

And no, on most lawn tractors manufacturers don't make that lube task easy.