How Low To Cut The Grass

outdoors Joe

Threads
I cut my grass too low last fall and now I have to reseed my yard. I knew better and am very disappointed since I had cut it higher all summer. What height do you cut your grass?

Jetblast

Threads
I'm in Southern Ohio and I shoot for 3", then step it up to 3.5" during late summer when it's hot and dry. I find that the grass stays healthier this way and as a side benefit, the mower deck takes less of a beating.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 shorter in the spring and like Jetblast, longer as it gets hotter and drier... :smile:KennyV

pollyannasmum

Threads
I just love mowing our lawn and I probably cut too low but I just do it by eye. As long as it looks good, I don't mind! My next door neighbour has been out with his mower three times today going over the same piece of lawn. What's that all about I wonder?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just love mowing our lawn and I probably cut too low but I just do it by eye. As long as it looks good, I don't mind! My next door neighbour has been out with his mower three times today going over the same piece of lawn. What's that all about I wonder?

He is probably like my brother in law, who insists his lawn look like a putting green, and has a screaming fit if somebody happens to drive their car on it.....:eek::confused2::eek::confused2:...

What is the big deal here, I don't care if ANYBODY drives on even the best part of my lawn...

DB LAWN ENFORCEMENT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Id stay at 3"-3.5" in hot weather so the sun doesn't burn it up an 2.75" in spring an fall so u don't jave to mow as often an it looks real nice

Pika

Threads
I'm not sure, inchwise, but it's deep enough to stay green but short enough to look cut :laughing:. I would love to have some sort of ground cover that only grows two or three inches tall so I would NEVER have to mow!

CompactTractorFan

Threads
I think we had this very same discussion on TBN last year...:thumbsup:

CompactTractorFan

Threads
He is probably like my brother in law, who insists his lawn look like a putting green, and has a screaming fit if somebody happens to drive their car on it.....:eek::confused2::eek::confused2:...

What is the big deal here, I don't care if ANYBODY drives on even the best part of my lawn...

Ugh...:mad:...The guy across the street is like that...I used to be friends with his son, and his dad got mad even if a skateboard rolled onto his lawn :confused2: :rolleyes:...He also constantly sprays and fertilizes. On a side note, once his son came over here and took a hammer out of my tool box and proceeded to dig up OUR lawn with it. What's up with that??? :mad: :confused:

jd335

Threads
just remember if you have fescue or blue grass on your lawn the roots remain the same length as the top in other words if your grass is 3 inches high the roots are 3 inches long. it the heat of the summer it will dry out out faster because of the short roots. after memeriol day i mow 4 inches unless it is a very wet time.