Starter solenoid

dentra

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another problem I am having is when I turn the key to start the motor the starter solenoid makes a buzzing kind of noise I don't know if it is bad or just maybe a bad connection somewhere? the battery seems good and is holding a charge and is fairly new and was maintained over the winter! is there a way to test the solenoid???

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Buzzing indicates a bad connection, you should have battery volts (no less then 12.5 volts) on the small wire on the solenoid when the key is turned to start, and also on the big wires (both of them)

chitownmowerguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Buzzing indicates a bad connection, you should have battery volts (no less then 12.5 volts) on the small wire on the solenoid when the key is turned to start, and also on the big wires (both of them)

I have this exact same issue with my Cub. The battery is measuring 12.5v. On the solenoid, I am getting 12.5v at the pole where the battery cable connects and 2.2v on the other pole, when key is turned to 'start' position. I just replaced the solenoid and getting the same readings after replacement. It does 'click' and buzz when I turn to start. I think the issue has to be with one of the safety switches, but they all seem to be functional. The only one that I can't figure out how to test is the seat switch, whether it's depressed or not, I still get the same performance at the solenoid...

Any ideas what else this could be? There is a 3 week wait at the repair shop...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
you have either a bad connection some place or the battery is actually faulty, and will not hold the proper voltage under load. Need at least 10 volts to actually work the solenoid and the starter.

Connect a volt meter between the post on the battery, and confirm battery voltage, and while still connected, attempt to crank engine, and see what voltage you have at the battery. Voltage drop should be less than 1 volt. post back what you find.

chitownmowerguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
you have either a bad connection some place or the battery is actually faulty, and will not hold the proper voltage under load. Need at least 10 volts to actually work the solenoid and the starter.

Connect a volt meter between the post on the battery, and confirm battery voltage, and while still connected, attempt to crank engine, and see what voltage you have at the battery. Voltage drop should be less than 1 volt. post back what you find.

Voltage dropped to 11.9. I also have tried jumping it from a truck. THe battery is on a tender whenever its not in use (like it is currently).

Any other ideas?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would have to say there is a bad connection some place in the circuit that feeds the small prong on the solenoid. key switch, safety switch, etc.

gregjo1948

Threads
Try a jumper across the large lugs on the solenoid to see if it spins the engine. If it doesn't, check the connections from solenoid to the starter. Also , if the solenoid has 2 small wirers, one is probably a ground and should have a good connection which, you can jumper it also to try cranking. gregjo1948

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thing to do is try to rotate the flywheel by hand!!!!

If it won't rotate, take the plugs out and try again!!!!