Sharpening Blades

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
What are some of the ways you guys go about sharpening blades on your mowers?
I tend to use a fflapper disc on my angle grinder, to me it does a great job. Does it quicker then a file.:biggrin:

poncho62

Threads
Grinding disk on my 4 1/2 in angle grinder....Just touch up the edge taking as little off as possible off...2x year

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Grinding disk on my 4 1/2 in angle grinder....Just touch up the edge taking as little off as possible off...2x year

Use to use grinding disc but I have found these flap wheels and they make a real smooth job, you should try one some time.:thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Belt sander also is great...
Important thing is don't over heat the metal... it will burn and be gone quickly...
The tips of the blade do the majority of all the cutting so don't loose the shape at the tip cutting edge...
Grinder or file also will get the job done ... just don't get in a hurry... :smile:KennyV

Jetblast

Threads
I've been using a bench grinder for years which works OK for me, but it ain't pretty. Then recently I came across this thread about using a 60 grit zirconia flap wheel on a 4.5" angle grinder. Pretty much what bakerg is talking about. There's a photo in that thread which shows a guy's first time results using this method and it looks better than what I've been doing. I blew a double sawbuck on a Harbor Freight angle grinder many moons ago to use with cut-off wheels, so I'm all over it. I also use one of those plastic cone-looking blade balancers to keep things legit.

This will be the first season I actually look forward to blade sharpenings because I just got a Mojack EZ from Tractor Supply Hardware, along with two fancy rubber wheel chocks for the rear wheels. I've been playing around with that Mojack and it's something else. For years I've been jerking around with my floor jack, jackstands, and/or ramps which leave little room to work, but with the Mojack I can easily crank my ZTR up until the rear hitch very nearly touches the garage floor. I'm not big on single use tools, but I'm glad I broke my principles this time because there's enough room under that deck now to play handball, and the mower seems very safe and secure. I believe my grass is going to look EXTRA tasty this spring and summer.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have ALWAYS used files for sharpening...ALWAYS. Got plenty of time, but not much money to replace blades ruined by a grinder.

Jetblast

Threads
Have ALWAYS used files for sharpening...ALWAYS. Got plenty of time, but not much money to replace blades ruined by a grinder.

You are a far more patient (not to mention industrious) man than I. :smile: I've never ruined a blade with my bench grinder shape-wise or temper-wise and they always cut well, they just don't win beauty contests.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are a far more patient (not to mention industrious) man than I. :smile: I've never ruined a blade with my bench grinder shape-wise or temper-wise and they always cut well, they just don't win beauty contests.

Retired guys have plenty of time to waste...but not money.

Jetblast

Threads
Retired guys have plenty of time to waste...but not money.

Ditto. If I'd known retirement would be this enjoyable I wouldn't have minded working so much.

Last edited:

indypower

Threads
I always liked using a file. Have better control of how much to take off and where to take it off from.