CM1000 (Series 4) won't turn on

pvwebb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a CM1000 (series 4) that started with my son, but when my wife tried to true in on, it smoked and won't turn on. Even days for it to cool down, it doesn't turn on. The charging circuitry works; batteries charged; the motor spins if I shorted across the red wires to the switch; 27V appears across the terminals to the battery+ and motor+; also 27V across the switch solder joints on the board; 0V across breaker. My diagnosis is the switch is bad. I know several places to buy a switch, but before doing so, I'm checking to see if anyone has any experience with this issue.

pvwebb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought I had the part number for the actual electrical switch, but when I look at pictures of 242644-01, it looks like the lever and cable on the handle rather than the electrical switch. I'm still trying to find an electrical switch. Does anyone know if this component is part of the safety recall? All the parts listings for this lawn mower leave out the switch.

Last edited:

pvwebb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: CMM1000 (Series 4) won't turn on

The recall converts the CMM1000 to a CMM1200. This replaces the switch, AC adapter, the top with the electronics. All CMM1000's should be converted to CMM1200's with a free safety recall from Black and Decker. The switch on my CMM1000 sent out smoke, but didn't catch on fire. Another danger with the switch is the key on the CMM1000 works off a push button. If the push button fails closed, the the mower can turn off without the key. I noticed places are selling these kits for almost $300, but Black and Decker doesn't charge you for it if you bring in your old CMM1000.