CMM1000 Brush Replacement Advice

wolfcj

Forum Newbie
Threads
My CMM1000 type 2 from 1996 wouldn't start and thanks to this forum I diagnosed it as a worn out brush. As a temporary fix, I inserted a small shim to get contact between the brush and commutator again.

Now I need to get new brushes and install them, and I'm looking for advice on this. The braided lead from the brush is attached to the power lead with a crimped-on connector. That seems fine for factory installation, but not so great for user replacement. If I buy new brushes, such as black & decker lawn mowers, do they come with the connector? If not, how have others made the connection?

Background on the mower -- I am the original owner and have used it regularly for 18 years now. I finally had to replace the batteries a few years ago, and I've replaced the blade once. I suspect it's one of only a few this old that is still in use.

Thanks.

pvwebb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wondered why you didn't consider a new motor until I looked at the prices.

Mark Widmer

Threads
Now I need to get new brushes and install them, and I'm looking for advice on this. The braided lead from the brush is attached to the power lead with a crimped-on connector. That seems fine for factory installation, but not so great for user replacement. If I buy new brushes, such as black & decker lawn mowers, do they come with the connector? If not, how have others made the connection?
Hoping somebody can chime in here. I had also bought replacement brushes from abtecparts a couple years ago, just to be prepared for when mine wear out -- which luckily hasn't happened yet. And might never -- mower was bought new in 2006 and used for 6 mowing seasons (through 2011), then I switched jobs and don't have time to mow any more.

Background on the mower -- I am the original owner and have used it regularly for 18 years now. I finally had to replace the batteries a few years ago, and I've replaced the blade once. I suspect it's one of only a few this old that is still in use.

Thanks.
Amazing that your battery lasted 15(?) years! Replaced my first one after only 3 years, though that turned out NOT to solve the problem I was having and it probably had at least a year left.

Recumbent

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings.

I recently had my CMM1000 die, and just bought a CM1936 as a replacement. As a precaution against future repairs, I also bought a set of CM1936 brushes just in case.

I then stripped the CMM1000 for parts as many of the parts seemed the same between models. I can confirm that the CM1936 shunted brush ( 241648-01 ) fits inside the brush insert for the CMM1000, and are the same cross section size and have the right cupping on them from the factory. Since the CM1936 brushes were brand new and the CMM1000 brushes were ~ 10 years old, the new parts are longer due to lack of wear.

In fact, if you look at part lists, you will see that the Brush Insert (242274-00) is EXACTLY the same, and has been carried over from the CMM1000 all the way up to the SPCM1936.

If you buy replacement brushes ( 241648-01 ) remember that you will need two. Some places sell them in a set of two, and some places sell them in singlets.

Also, they are Dewalt Brushes and Dewalt Brush Inserts. You may be able to pick up a set at your local hardware store if it has an extensive electronics section. Bring your brush insert with you and make sure any brush you are considering can be pushed into it without sticking out at the end when the spring is compressed.

The brass colored brush insert, with the included spring, helps keep the shunt brush pressed against the electric motor communicator, but not too hard. It's a pretty simple set up.

tictac

Threads
Hoping somebody can chime in here. I had also bought replacement brushes from abtecparts a couple years ago, just to be prepared for when mine wear out -- which luckily hasn't happened yet. And might never -- mower was bought new in 2006 and used for 6 mowing seasons (through 2011), then I switched jobs and don't have time to mow any more.

I've replaced brushes a number of times on Black & Decker corded mowers. The new brushes come with no end on the braided wire. They are meant to be crimped onto the insulated wire. Since I don't have good crimping pliers, I just cut off the old brushes right at the crimp; then remove about 1/8 insulation from the insulated wire; and solder the braided end to the wire. The solder joint can be tucked in under the brush holder. Hope this helps.