Kohler versus Kawasaki, which would you choose

fredhargis

Threads
I need to replace my 16 year old Dixon this year. It has a 14 HP Kohler engine and is, quite frankly, in extremely good condition. But, it's a 42" mower which was great for the 2 acres of woods we used to have. Now I'm mowing 4+ acres of no-trees grass....and need a larger one. I'm looking at Gravely and Dixon (ZT HD 60 vs. Ultra 61) and am wondering about the opinions of the Kawasaki engine (Gravely) versus the Kohler (Dixon). For homeowner use, would one see much difference. My current thinking is the are both great engines.

indypower

Threads
The Kawasaki engine is the best small engine on the market. Yes, better than Honda. The Kawasaki is very reliable and has few problems if any. Had you said Briggs or Kohler, I would have said Kohler.

jd335

Threads
that is a tough call i have owned both kohler and kawasaki and i have had no problems out of either both great engines is my opnion.

SeabeeChief

Forum Newbie
Threads
When the Kohler needs parts, there is a dealer just around the corner. Might be a bit of a wait for kawasaki parts. I have several Kohlers and all serve me very well. I've never owned a kawasaki and don't plan to.

steved

Threads
I have both (although on different platforms) and the Kohler impresses me more...the Kawasaki seems over rated in power, and just won't hold its own with a similar output Kohler. Just my opinion...

As far as durability...if both are pressurized oiling systems, they will probably be very comparable if equally cared for.

CajunCub

Threads
Side by side, apples to apples, The Kohler is the better engine in block construction, igition system, carberation, heads-valves, flywheels....The parts are everywhere, the service is easier, and warranty will stand behind the Kohlers. It's a simple FAD over Kawasaki just because Briggs has lowered their quality so bad & Honda's stupidity over letting their design pattens expire with the bootleg counterfits hitting the markets everywhere. To me the Kohler is all alone TOP DAWG!

RTSB

Threads
that is a tough call i have owned both kohler and kawasaki and i have had no problems out of either both great engines is my opnion.

X2 Me to both have been very good to me. I take very good care of my mowers and engines. I change the oil and all the filter more often than recommended. I have a 15 hp kohler on my generator that get a real good work out every winter at the cabin because there is no electric line there. We put 200-250 gallons of gas threw it every winter.

Bobrien

Threads
Both are great engines. My JD 165 has a Kawasaki 460V, which I recently replaced with a used motor. Unless I can re-build the old motor or the current unit when it goes, I'll replace it with a Kohler since the 460V is no longer in production. For a 12.5 HP motor, its very strong.

Kingwood990

Threads
I would go with the Kawasaki. Think about it this way, John Deere has been using Kawasaki's for years. If the engines were bad do you think they would be using them?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sombody here on this Forum said that Kohler is now having some engines made in China - if that is correct - I wouldn't own one of those ! :thumbdown:
I have had Great luck with Kohler engines in the past.

My Kawasakis were a KZ500 3 Cyl. 2 Stroke and a
KZ 650 4 Cyl. 4 Stroke :biggrin: :biggrin: :thumbsup: