Oil filter for Kohler Cub

Alasdair

Threads
Hi there
I too ditched the OEM filter as the Australian cost is $30.00
and a Ryco Z145 or Valvoline V04 fits perfectly, offers a
lot more filter media, slightly more oil reserve, slightly more
surface area cooling, easier removal, anti drain back valve,
and cheaper cost, at about $6-9 each. Never going back.
I also machined up a sandwich plate and milled a custom
oil cooler out of a billet of aluminium to put a lid on the
extreme oil temps my 20hp kohler v twin hits. It's amazing
how much quieter it runs and doesn't run on anymore.
Cheers.

Papa Tango

Threads
NAPA filters are made by Wix....so I have been told

You are correct. I use to work in the industrial supply field and called upon three different Wix plants here in North Carolina. The main plant had a glass display case in the lobby that had samples of their filters and private branded products including NAPA. Wix makes an excellent product.

I currently represent a small independent filter maker that makes a good quality product and they do a lot of private label filters. I supply a local manufacturing plant with their replacement Kohler oil filters among other things. Interestingly, this same company I represent makes small runs of special sizes for Wix and other brands.

Threads
I would recommend using the manufacturers oil filter for one very good reason. The engine is designed with that filter to be used. it's not like we are talking about $50 here. You made a significent investment in your mower so why are you skimping on taking care of it? It's like you going into surgery and the doctors are talking about the cheapest way to conduct your operation! I know that's overkill but the point is - protect your investment! Change the oil - use a quality oil, use a recommended oil and air filter. Change the plugs with the correct plug. If you take care of your machine properly, it will serve you for a long time!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
When looking for filters, I have never looked for the cheapest, they are around and sell well...

I have always looked for the best for the cost. That almost always was Wix... I know I can find a less expensive filter, but I won't find a better filter.

The filters that come from the engine manufacturer are Not on that engine because it is the best... it's likely going to be an adequate filter...and the after sales replacement is not necessarily going to be made by the same filter company, nor is it apt to be of the same quality as the original, even within the same brand...
With Wix replacements it is easy to determine what you are going to get... The most expensive is not an assurance that it is the best, likewise the cheapest is no assurance that you will save money in the long run.
:smile:KennyV

benski

Threads
I've had great luck with Wix filters and Amsoil, when I couldn't find an Amsoil filter for the application.:smile:

Threads
For what it is worth, I am a full time lawn mower mechanic working for a Toro dealer in Virginia. I know that when I service a Toro product with a Briggs, Kohler or Kawasaki motor on it, we stock the very same oil filters that come on the machine when it is new. Same product numbers, same manufacturers. I have nothing negative to see about other manufacturers products or claims, I'm merely saying that the design specs of the engines are in part based on some known commodities, of which oil and air filters are an important part. To buy a lawnmower these days and make the kind of investment (price) required, I would think that one would want to be careful about using other products than what are recommended. As long as the specs are the same, use whatever you feel comfortable with - as lon as the specs are the same.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
One of the reasons for going to after market items is to find BETTER, not the same specs... OEM Air and oil filters are not always made by the same manufactures although they do carry the same part numbers and will look similar, OEM expendables are made to meet minimum spec...

Most folks looking at other filters are usually looking for a more conveniently located equivalent ...
OR a superior product... NOT an equivalent... Those that care to find a better product have a tremendous amount of information resources available, and if they are motivated to find better or 'best' they also tend to be knowledgeable enough to separate the information from the infomercials...

Without a doubt the OEM filter will work... look a few years back, engines had no oil filter at all... go back farther and there were no real air filters ... The filtration is not the MOST critical component on an engine and the manufactures know this... that is one reason manufactures do not spec the absolute best filter... but if an owner wants he can find many better after market expendables... :smile:KennyV

LT1045wrh

Threads
Very interesting discussion. You all may want to read what this website has to say about oil filters...(I know it is mainly focusing on motorcycles, but when cross referenced, it is an interesting opinion.

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

getsee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2014 cub cadet model LTX 1040 with a Kohler engine and was wondering if another oil filter besides one from Kohler could be used ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use aftermarket filters except where a customer requests a particular filter. Stens or Gripskie, both guaranteed to be eequivalent or better than the original.
When comparing one to another just be careful to check what the flow rate is at specific delivery pressures. And that the bypass pressure is no more than 75% of the mowers oil pump pressure at 3600 rpm
Car filters usuall run at substantially higher pressures than mower engines and a lot of car filters are way too restrictive for mowers.
A lot of mower pumpps will never get to a high enough pressure to activate the bypass valve.
This was a massive problem with putting oil filters on old British motorcycles as they are generally plugged into the high volume low pressure oil return line after the head feed take off and a lot of very expensive machinery became scrap metal because of this.
A lot of bikes got multiple head jobs before the idiot mechanics realised the oil filter was too restrictive so way too much oil ended up being fed into the head then back down nnto the sump, never seeing the oil tank to cool, settle & defoam.
And again it was cheapskate owners too poor to afford a $ 15.00 filter to go on a $ 20,000 motorcycle.