How many hours?

mystreba

Threads
If you were purchasing a used garden tractor and hoping to keep it many years, how many hours would you consider reasonable? At what point would you not consider buying? (assuming the tractor has been reasonably maintained)

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Depends on the age... if it were pre-2000, I'd say 1,000 hours or so. Pre-1980 and hours would be almost irrelevant and instead I'd look at condition. More modern machines, I'd be comfortable staying in the 300-500 hour range. Last mower I sold had 400 hours on it after about 6 years of use, and I felt that I used it a lot. So hours per year is another factor.

Slater

Threads
Muhammad is right, but it also depends on what tractor you are looking at, brand, model, etc. Some are put together about as sturdy as a lego house and others are built like tanks. I would pay more for some tractors with over 1000 hours than some with 10 hours. Look at the track record. If you have a specific one in mind, post it on here and I am sure you will get some great suggestions:smile:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My '89 JD 318 was well maintained, but currently non running with about 1100 hours when parked in 2003. Needs an engine rebuild and about $500-600 worth of other work (new tires, new ps cylinder, battery, etc) . To be honest I would be leery of buying one with as many hours as mine has for the age. Parts are costly ($240 for ps cylinder) and can be hard to get. To be honest, unless you are planning to completely rebuild and restore an older model I'd stick with something no less than ten years old.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you were purchasing a used garden tractor and hoping to keep it many years, how many hours would you consider reasonable? At what point would you not consider buying? (assuming the tractor has been reasonably maintained)

If like you say it has been reasonably maintained.. the hours would not be a factor at all...
If it is in good condition and the price is reasonable...
Replacement parts & pieces will vary in price, depending if you are willing to find better pricing, and expend the effort to find the actual source for some of the bits & parts. (a lot of folks don't take the time)...
Almost all mower tractor parts are stock hardware, and assembled by 'manufactures', not many are unique to a particular brand...
Good used equipment can be a much better value than new... :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
I've got a JD111 made in the 70s[?],granted I fixed it up and was lucky to have a brand new never used L.Head Briggs &S. I bought years ago for another mower.They no longer make an L.head and modern engines would'nt work in itAll the other stuff was in pretty good shape,frame,deck etc.My main mower is diesel and was a commerical built unit so no. of hours are differant as compared to a gas unit and non commerical unit.the diesel unit has 2000 hrs and I consider that not even mid life but for a non commerical gasser that's becoupe hours.My little Yanmar CUT was made in the 70s and is still going strong and can easily be fixed because OEM parts can still be bought from online sources as well as used parts.How well the machine has been treated goes a long way on how good it is.I know some folks that never change oil,filters or grease.never clean decks that rot in a couple yrs ,leave them outside uncovered.I have a little TSC push mower I bought new over 10yrs ago and still cut with it because it's kept in my barn and has regular maint. done on it. russ

mystreba

Threads
no. of hours are differant as compared to a gas unit and non commerical unit.the diesel unit has 2000 hrs and I consider that not even mid life but for a non commerical gasser that's becoupe hours.

That helps - thanks