Hustler FasTrak parking brakes do not work

ron59

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am new to this forum, so here is a little info about me and my problem. I live in Oklahoma and am a residential user. I have 2 mowers, a 2005 John Deere LT180 that I purchased new. I really like the mower and it still serves me well. I have close to 500 hours on it and have had no major problems.
The second is a 2008 Hustler FasTrak SD 36, that I recently purchased, used. It has low hours and is in fair condition. One problem I have discovered is that the parking brakes do not work. I think they are electronically activated by a switch on each steering control. I have looked under the deck and found a switch for each control, but it looks like they are against the steering lever all the time. I cannot see any movement between the switches and control lever when I set or release the control lever. Are there any Hustler owners familiar with this problem?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get the model and serial numbers from your machine, go to hustlerturf.com, click on manuals, find your specific machine and download the manual.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

MRCo.

Threads
The switches are jut for the safety interlock. The brake is hydro static and controlled by a linkage rod found on the inside face of each transmission. You just need to tighten the ny lock nut to make sure the linkage is pulling the brake on. Manual: http://www.hustlerturf.com/images/product_manuals/114241.pdf

ron59

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for both of your replies. I adjusted the parking brake spring to the specifications I found in the Hustler service manual,
.85 - .95 inches. Before I started, the spring gap on both sides was about an 1 1/4 inch. I adjusted both down to just a little under 1 inch. When I tried to run the motors they were both locked up. I backed both springs out about 2 turns and tried again. This time the wheels would move but the motors were making a clicking sound, so I started backing them out a little at a time until the noises in both motors went away. But, unfortunately, the parking brakes still do not work. There is a dealer about 5 miles away, so I think I will talk with the service manager and probably let them look at the brakes before I possibly make matters worse. Not having parking brakes is not that much of a problem to me, just an annoyance, but I would like for everything to work as it should.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnWorld!

We moved your thread to the Hustler forum.