I was enjoying my new Raptor SD 54, now I'm PO'ed...

mooch91

Threads
All,

I've got about 1.9 hrs on my new Raptor SD 54. I brought it home from the dealer yesterday and mowed.

Two issues I'm having (both reported here by someone else as well):

• My hydro expansion tank is EMPTY. No evidence of any fluid in the tank. I'M VERY CONCERNED. I know I can top off the fluid, per the manual, but how do I know the hydros have been running with sufficient oil? How can I tell if I've damaged the hydros by running them low on oil? Do they come pre-filled from the factory? I never thought to check this when I brought it home and started it up...I assumed because I was buying from a dealer, all was good.
  • The thing has been somewhat jerky to operate. I'm still learning how to control it, but I'm convinced one of the controls is operating the wheel faster than the other. I think I'm going to go through the setup procedure to set them the same speed (per the service manual).

These are a couple of things I did not expect to have to deal with, buying from a local dealer.

Any thoughts in particular on the hydro oil? Should I raise he&& with the dealer?

Thanks!

RaptorSD

Threads
Any thoughts in particular on the hydro oil? Should I raise he&& with the dealer?

Thanks!

I thought the same thing and I've added around 14oz in 17hrs of running. Not to worry, yes the hydros are adequately filled at the factory and I believe the paper elements in the filters soak up some of the oil like someone else mentioned. Good idea to keep an eye on it early though, easy to forget when it's new.

mooch91

Threads
Wondering if I should drain them out just to be sure there is something in them. Then fill fresh. Can't hurt, I guess. I'd like to get the dealer to supply me the oil.

MRCo.

Threads
Like I've said before, it seems that the hydro filters soak up the oil when they are first put under pressure in running conditions. Add some 20w50 motor oil, monitor it. You should be fine, I don't think you've done any damage. The low oil would exlain the jerky feel. I'd have your dealer do the adjustment unless you really have the urge to play with it. No need to get too excited!

RaptorSD

Threads
Wondering if I should drain them out just to be sure there is something in them. Then fill fresh. Can't hurt, I guess. I'd like to get the dealer to supply me the oil.

Ran at least 5hrs before I caught it, your choice. The 'expansion tank' is just that afterall....

L454S

Threads
Just top off with 20W50 motor oil Mooch. Shouldn't take but a few ozs.

mooch91

Threads
Thanks, I probably over-reacted. Easy to do when you see an empty tank on a new mower. Talked with the shop this morning, they indicated they leave just a "coating" in the bottom of the tank so as to not have it overflow when things heat up. He also said that if I were empty/not filled it would not have moved. I will probably top it off and keep an eye on it.

I dropped all tires to 10 psi last night (they were at 12). I'm going to run it on flat ground before making any adjustments to the drive; I do mow a bit of a hill so what I was feeling could have been a function of that.

Thanks again guys!

Kremeneon

Threads
All,
The thing has been somewhat jerky to operate. I'm still learning how to control it, but I'm convinced one of the controls is operating the wheel faster than the other. I think I'm going to go through the setup procedure to set them the same speed (per the service manual).

Assuming there is no trouble with the machine I was a bit jerky at the controls for an hour or two. I liken it to riding a horse, I found myself using the levers partially to hang on, which made the dang thing go all over the place. I settled down a bit and and am now using my lower body to hold on (pressing feet against the plate corners for balance) and freeing my arms to just steer, and move in controlled smooth movements. I've gotten a lot better. Could be from a little break-in on the hydros also.

NO ZTR will track absolutely straight all the time. any bumps or ruts will cause one tire to loose a fraction of an inch of traction and it will veer that way. the best you can hope for it to take it on pavement, and adjust the bars to go straight, but then when you take it to grass and run full out it will still veer one way or the other depending on traction and terrain, but you can know the motors are equal.

mooch91

Threads
As an update, I'm at 16 oz 20W50 in the hydro tank and counting (no visible leak). I come back the day after each time I mow to find the tank empty and add a few more oz. Starting to alarm me a bit...

I think I'll give Hustler a call tomorrow to try to understand.

RaptorSD

Threads
As an update, I'm at 16 oz 20W50 in the hydro tank and counting (no visible leak). I come back the day after each time I mow to find the tank empty and add a few more oz. Starting to alarm me a bit...

I think I'll give Hustler a call tomorrow to try to understand.

let us know, I had to add back about that much oil and it has leveled off at the fill mark. Now that the oil has circulated back to the tank and already looking dirtier than expected at 19hrs. I mow a 1.5 acre 40deg slope, it's bumpy...don't know what to expect durability wise mainly from the drivetrain, can only hope it lives up to its name. The one thing it does have going for it is it's a very light weight machine. Maybe I'll do the initial oil change early.