I was enjoying my new Raptor SD 54, now I'm PO'ed...

Kremeneon

Threads
After seeing this last week I checked my tank. empty.
I added until half full, mowed, that's when the deck belt spring broke.
when I got it back in the garage and was fiddling with it later I checked the tank, empty.
I added until half full again.
so I have probably added a pint or more now also, and I'm curious as to how this will play out.

Tta197

Threads
I had to add a 1/4 of a new quart to get the reservoir to stay at the full cold line. I think the filter just soaked up that much oil because they were installed without filling them some.

Kremeneon

Threads
I had to add a 1/4 of a new quart to get the reservoir to stay at the full cold line. I think the filter just soaked up that much oil because they were installed without filling them some.

This is perfectly reasonable, and if so it is another oversight that hustler needs to work on.

I'm perfectly fine and happy if the level evens out, no leaks is good. That I should have to do it myself is not so good.

JohnCardin

Threads
I just picked up my RSD 54 and at the dealer I checked the overflow (and pointed out to the dealer) and the level was at full cold marking and it was at .4 hours. After about another hour of tooling around and 1 good mow, I checked it cold and it was empty. I picked up some 20w50 and it was probably another 3-4oz to fill it up (air bubbles came up through the bottom). I went and tooled around again and it didn't drop after that. I'll check it again after the next mow.

Someone buying one may want to check it more frequently during the first few hours.

mooch91

Threads
Spoke to Hustler today and shared my concern with technical support. No wait, and they were easy to get to.

The gentleman I spoke to said it can happen - that as air moves out of the system, the level can drop. He said each hydro holds about 2 qts of 20W50, so even though I've added 16 oz, it's not a huge amount in relation to the volume of the system.

He said I could continue to add after each run until it settles out, or I can open up the bleed plug on the hydros while filling to ensure it's entirely full. He described these plugs, but I didn't have my mower in front of me to visualize it.

I feel OK that it's not going to create a long-term issue.

Kremeneon

Threads
  • / I was enjoying my new Raptor SD 54, now I'm PO'ed...
My hydro oil expansion seems to have stabilized over the two additions. The total added was about the full volume of the expansion tank. Now at cold it is somewhere midway between the cold line and half full, maybe about 1/3 full. Hot it is nearly up to the top.

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
Went to auto store for some 20W50 to add to the expansion tank as mine is not visible.When I looked at the available options I noticed there was a 4 stroke motorcycle version available.I asked the clerk if he thought one type of 20W50 was better than the next.He strongly encouraged me to use the motorcycle(castroil) type explaining he used it on his motorcycle.Is there any preferred product?

JohnCardin

Threads
Went to auto store for some 20W50 to add to the expansion tank as mine is not visible.When I looked at the available options I noticed there was a 4 stroke motorcycle version available.I asked the clerk if he thought one type of 20W50 was better than the next.He strongly encouraged me to use the motorcycle(castroil) type explaining he used it on his motorcycle.Is there any preferred product?

There is a sae classification for oils. Starts with sa and goes to sn or something. The manual specified the s rating to use. I used a "newer" s rating then specified when I topped off mine. I didn't have time to go to another store to try to find the oil in the exact flavor.

JohnCardin

Threads
There is a sae classification for oils. Starts with sa and goes to sn or something. The manual specified the s rating to use. I used a "newer" s rating then specified when I topped off mine. I didn't have time to go to another store to try to find the oil in the exact flavor.

It calls for sl/sm spec.

Info on oil specs
API Engine Oil Classification

I think I used sn spec.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hustler owners purchasing new equipment from dealers should not have to deal with issues mentioned. When you purchase a new vehicle do you have to go to such lengths? Hustler corporate headquarters as well as their quality control dept. at manufacturing facility needs to hear from you. Hydraulic systems need to be up and ready to go from the factory. Just throwing in my two cents.