Residential Zero Turn Mowers

bklatt77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am in the market for a new zero turn and have a budget around 3-4k. What is the best Zero turn for my money? I was looking at a cub cadet rzt l 54" with a 23hp kawasaki or 24hp kohler engine with a fabricated deck or a simplicity 27hp briggs with a 52" stamped deck with striper. Any thoughts? Am I looking at the right mowers or do I need to turn elsewhere? I am cutting about an acre and a half, pretty flat but a stripe in my grass is important to me.

tbarnett

Threads
I recently traded my Gravely ZT-42 for a Dixie Chopper Zee-2, Model 2348. Only used it a few times but I am very impressed.

edd

Threads
hustler raptor at 2799 with the thicker deck would be hard to beat in this category

Brucebotti

Threads
I've had the Toro MX5060 for a year now (32 hrs) and I love it. It is a high-end residential, low-end commercial mower. The main reasons I purchased it were:
- Kawasaki motor
- 50 " fabricated / welded deck
- Serviceable Hydro units (Zt-2800)

I mow 1 acre, and it gives a great cut. I see them selling now for $3,899.

Good luck in your search!

Bruce

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am in the market for a new zero turn and have a budget around 3-4k. What is the best Zero turn for my money? I was looking at a cub cadet rzt l 54" with a 23hp kawasaki or 24hp kohler engine with a fabricated deck or a simplicity 27hp briggs with a 52" stamped deck with striper. Any thoughts? Am I looking at the right mowers or do I need to turn elsewhere? I am cutting about an acre and a half, pretty flat but a stripe in my grass is important to me.

You asked......now you have 4 other recommendations(Gravely, Dixie Chopper, Hustler and Toro) to compare. Every one of these ZTR's are good quality machines and you will have to sort out the differences in components/build/price and decide which one best fits your need. With so many good ZTR's on the market to choose from that's the hard part!!!

Kwelhand

Threads
I've SCAG Freedom Z, and I'm very impressed with its cut & build quality.
My local dealer sells 48" for $5k out the door.
It sits very low and felt like driving a high-end sport car.
Avoid CUB CADET, my cub ZTR failed because water got into the hydro gear and messed up...YMMV

ddbtdd

Threads
I'm a homeowner and I just spent the last 2 yrs looking and pricing zero turns. Had I not found the slightly used Snapper Pro I just bought ( which was a super deal) I was going to buy a Dixon Ultra52 or it's Husqvarna 5225 counterpart which is about the same mower just painted a different color. Each comes in a few different variations and these are entry level commercial grade mowers. They can be bought on sale for about $4299.00. Yes, you can spend less and get a decent ztr but I feel these Dixon/ Husqvarna give you the most bang for your buck! And remember, cash is king!

Vanousb

Threads
I would add exmark to the list as among the top choices. I went from cub to pioneer s series when i gained my 3 acre lawn and love it. Fast, clean cut, gtreat ride, and solid build. The quest s series is around 4k. E series is a less. Would also throw in pioneer e series at around 5k. I am an exmark guy because i feel they offer the best/most for the money spent. Around here, most commercial or serious mowers more often use exmarks. Others i am sure will say the same about thier choice. That said, there are about four or five comparable top end mower markers that will give you a commercial quality look around you price range. I really feel spending a little more on top end model zero turn is the way to go as an investment. They will last longer and perform better. I would personally get steel fabricated/ welded deck over stamped. Would also ride them to feel the difference before buying. Good luck. I found the conversations on thi side very helpful in deciding.

ddbtdd

Threads
Exmark is owned by Toro and the homeowner Exmarks are likely a variation of a Toro ZTR.
The Exmark E and S series are made for the consumer: wheel size, unibody construction, size of the hydros etc. not that they are bad but there is nothing substantial about them.
I would say the Dixon Ultra 52/Husqvarna with 22or 23 in wheels, 11 gauge frame, fabricated deck, 3100 or 3400 hydros and the ability to get a Kohler, Briggs or Kaw engine hands down gives you the most bang for your buck at around $4200.00