721D Grasshopper Gemini final drive

thehemikid

Threads
A bit more info on the Planetary stuff. Here's the back side (well the way mine came apart anyway) of the Drum. Well, It's actually called the Double Ring Gear. The 4 long lugs don't seem to care what slot they need to go back in, but I used the little shinny witness marks at the rear of the lugs & slots verify which way this one was indexed.
Drum1_zps93b8ac10.jpg

One of the lugs has a 7 on the back of it & doesn't line up with anything,...so you tell me & we'll both know :smile:
Drum2_zpsba1f363f.jpg

thehemikid

Threads
On to the Axle removal.

Ha,...another 7 :cool2:,...but it doesn't line up with anything.:laughing:

Finaldrivethrustbearingampsnapring1_zpsabb66f00.jpg

There's the snap ring, thick washer, thrust bearing, thick washer, & that last thin washer was my doings, try'n to fix some of the problem mine had with,...for some reason, to much material for everything to go back in. It was weird, & ever did find out why, so I had a shop grind me a pair of (I think It was .055") spacers. One on this side of the Pressed in Housing bearing that I'll get to here in a minute.

1thrustbearingassembly_zps7084546f.jpg

You can just see the needle bearing that's pressed (I think :laughing:) into the housing

2thrustbearingseat1_zps1aaa4251.jpg

Pull the outer bearing snap ring, then just take a rubber mallet or hammer handle & tap on the splined end of the axle. I believe most of the resistance will be the other snap ring (that's mid way on the axle & on the other side of the housing needle bearing) catching the back side of the oil seal & driving it off it's seat. But there may be some resistance from the outer bearing but I don't think much.

3thrustbearingseat2_zps559385b5.jpg

These are approximately where everything goes on the axle.

4axlesnapringsealampouterbearinga_zps37030ce3.jpg

5pressedinhousingneedlebearing_zps5f16db60.jpg

Looking through the outer axle bear seat. The oil seal seat starts at about 2.5" & seats at about 2.75". But I don't think I pushed mine all the way down to its seat trying to keep it off the the middle snap ring. Though the factory seat probably takes care of that for ya.

10sealampouterbearingseats_zps15c5c379.jpg

While I'm thinking of it here's a pic of the 1st snap ring that was behind the planetarys & against the thick thrust washer pack. It's seems to have had some side loads in its previous life so I turned it around.

1thrustbearingassembly_zps7084546f.jpg

11mostinnersnapring-ware_zps7cad9f0a.jpg

...the end.

lapeer20m

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you so much for this thread!

I know it's older, but it really helped me out.

I just bought a woods 6210 with the left side wheel locked up. After reading this thread i took it apart and found a piece of metal inside which i believe was part of the parking brake.

photo 5(2).JPG

photo 4(2).JPG

photo 3 by Lapeer20m, on Flickr

photo 4 by Lapeer20m, on Flickr

I bought this machine for $900. It only has under 850 hours and has always been garage kept.

6gunn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm revisiting this thread again because my '97 721D's RH final drive is leaking again. Same side as last time, so I did more digging on the problem and found that the housing has an egg shape hole where the axle contacts the housing. It was like this the last time I had it torn down but it didn't seem like a big deal to me. Well, it's a big deal.
The Grasshopper dealership I use for parts stated that the seal will fail again because of this. They checked on a new housing, and best they could find was a housing for a 2004 model that's $589.00.
I looked at thehemikid's pictures and noticed the his housing has a bearing where my housing is wearing. If thehemikid reads this, would you tell me what year mower you have?
If my housing had that bearing in same area, I wouldn't be dealing with this problem.

thehemikid

Threads
Wow, another yr has passed and memory has too! I haven't had to do anything to the mower sense that time except change some fuel filters in order to get that last mow in before winter.

I'd have to go back & study my way through this thread to familiarize myself with all the parts of what I was doing in order to help at all. :laughing:

Anyway,... for starters can you post a pic or tell me which one of my pics has the bearing your talking about.

Where is this egg shaped wear in the housing at?
In my pics what bearing does mine have that yours don't?
...the outer axle bearing,
...inner housing bearing (needle bearings roughly about an inch long),
...or the flat thrust bearing/washer/spacers area?

Mine is a 2003 721D. Serial # 53-----

Pic%20outer%20axle%20housing%201a%20sectioned_zpsqnaiot1x.jpg

thehemikid

Threads
Wow, another yr has passed and memory has too! I haven't had to do anything to the mower sense that time except change some fuel filters in order to get that last mow in before winter.

I'd have to go back & study my way through this thread to familiarize myself with all the parts of what I was doing in order to help at all. :laughing:

Anyway,... for starters can you post a pic or tell me which one of my pics has the bearing your talking about.

Where is this egg shaped wear in the housing at?
In my pics what bearing does mine have that yours don't?
...the outer axle bearing,
...inner housing bearing (needle bearings roughly about an inch long),
...or the flat thrust bearing/washer/spacers area?

Mine is a 2003 721D. Serial # 53-----

Pic%20outer%20axle%20housing%201a%20sectioned_zpsqnaiot1x.jpg

Well guys I've been busy with life and other toys,...and bummer,... should of realized when my pics disappeared on other sites & forums that my mower stuff here had disappeared too. Sorry Photobucket has shut down my pic's. :ashamed:

If I can find another hosting site I like. I guess I wont be able to redo my pics in this thread tho, may have to start another thread and work on it over time. Pretty sure I still have the pic's in my laptop. Again would take some time tho. Let me know if anybody cares. :smile:

6gunn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hemikid, If these are the pictures I'm thinking of, they were great. On my old 721D the final drive housing had a bushing (bushing had worn to an egg shape, and the seal would work itself out.), not a bearing that supported the shaft. I saw in one of your pictures the bearing number in your housing, bought that bearing, and took the housing and the bearing to a machinist I know. He machined a space for the bearing, pressed it in. I haven't had trouble with that side since. And I mow 7 acres. Some of it very rough. So knock on wood, the old 721D is still running great, and not leaking.

Thanks again for helping me get my mower going again.

John

thehemikid

Threads
fellow on another forum posted a link for the photobucket problem,...pics are back for now! :smile: