SLTX 1054 TRANS ISSUE

thehitmandj

Threads
Hi everyone! I have a 2010 Cub Cadet SLTX 1054 VT garden tractor that is having transmission issues. It was fine until I put chains and a snow plow on it this past winter and tried pushing A LARGE pile of snow in -13 degree mind numbing cold. Ever since the trans has been 'whinny' and the tractor will move, but when I encounter any kind of resistance it won't go.

I am told this hydrostatic transmission is sealed and not serviceable. I work on all my own vehicles, have rebuilt motorcycle transmissions but hydrostatic is new to me. I am willing to attempt to repair it myself if I can get some feedback on what the issue may be. The shop I called wanted $2,000 to replace the transmission. I would rather drive it into my pond and buy another tractor than spend $2,000 to fix this one. So my questions are:

1) Anyone think they may know what failed in the trans? I am thinking an o-ring or gasket allowing oil to flow where it is not supposed to when I put a load on it.
2) Can this trans be serviced?
3) If so, where can I get parts?

Thanks in advance to y'all! My grass be gettin tall!!!

Ken

thehitmandj

Threads
Thanks Mark, very helpful!

I think from all I have read I will replace and purge the trans oil and go from there.

Ken

thehitmandj

Threads
So I took Tuesday off work and removed the transaxle. I drained the oil which was black, then found some metal fragments in the oil. At that point I decided to pull the trans apart. I inspected every componenet, every gear, every piston, swashplate, you name it. All look very good except the 2 pins that hold the 2 small planetary gears in place, they were rough on the ends but ok where the gear rides on them. I spent several hours with magnafying glasses inspecting every part of this thing and found nothing that was contrary to normal according to the service manual. The fragments were magnetic so I am pretty sure that they were not off of the case or pump body.

I cleaned everything up, put back together and filled it up with 20w-50, went through the purge procedure and it does the same thing as before.

Even though it seems to be not slipping, I ordered a new OEM drive belt and will replace that over the weekend.

Things that make you go 'hmmmmm'...

KV

thehitmandj

Threads
Can anyone tell me the best (cheapest) place to buy a new transaxle assembly for my lawn mower? After doing everything I can think of it's looking like I need to replace the whole thing.

Thanks!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can anyone tell me the best (cheapest) place to buy a new transaxle assembly for my lawn mower? After doing everything I can think of it's looking like I need to replace the whole thing.

Thanks!

First check your warranty and also is there a possibility you purchased an extended warranty on date of tractor purchase or after date of purchase, sometimes they will offer this just before warranty runs out. If you're not sure log on to there website or give them a call. It's most important to register online with manufacturer the date you purchase outdoor power equipment so you'll be covered.

Transmission Transaxle 618 04270A 618 04270B 918 0427B Hydrogear | eBay

Post tractor Cub Cadet model number and serial number from label on tractor at underside of seat.
Cub Cadet Transmission Rear LT1018 L1024 LT1045 L1042 LT1050 618 0319 311 0510 | eBay

Last edited:

thehitmandj

Threads
The mower :

Cub Cadet SLTX 1054 VT
MODEL# 13WR92AK009
SERIAL# 1D130H60341

The transaxle :

Hydro Gear
MODEL# 618-04270B
SERIAL# 0088H40586

No extended warranty, not a part of the hydro gear recall.

thehitmandj

Threads
Ordered a transmission from Cub Cadet. I explained the situation and they gave me 15% off and free shipping.

I will update after replacement. Hope it was $537.00 well spent...

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ordered a transmission from Cub Cadet. I explained the situation and they gave me 15% off and free shipping.

I will update after replacement. Hope it was $537.00 well spent...

Good deal, let us know when you get it going please.