Traction

scagman2

Threads
I have a new Tiger Cat with 24 X 9.50-12 tires. Is there a good alternative tire tread out there? Can you change tire size because the 24 X9.50-12 limits you in selection. I have ag tread on my Deere and Goodyear Terra Tires on my Simplicity (which I like a lot). I'm just used to better eats on my equipment ( my land is hilly and woods with shade at the bottom of the hill at both ends of the property, it's always soft next to the woods). Just curious if anyone is running more aggressive tread out there.

Don't know if this will help. When I first got my scag tiger cub, had traction problems on hills. Our local scag mechanic told me to put R.V. anti-freeze in my tires. Didn't think it would make a difference...but it did wonders for the traction problem. Only downfall is if you mow areas that are prone to flattening tires, you lose the fluid. But the fluid adds weight, helps tires conform to the terrain better than air.:thumbsup:

EA6BMECH

Threads
Don't know if this will help. When I first got my scag tiger cub, had traction problems on hills. Our local scag mechanic told me to put R.V. anti-freeze in my tires. Didn't think it would make a difference...but it did wonders for the traction problem. Only downfall is if you mow areas that are prone to flattening tires, you lose the fluid. But the fluid adds weight, helps tires conform to the terrain better than air.:thumbsup:

One buddy of mine said let some air out. Hmmmm sometimes is not the way to do it. Slick grass of the damp mud under it is no match for turf tires. Dad us to do that with his tractor and finally stopped doing it. Wasn't' worth the weight vice traction.

Kai12

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have Carlisle AT101 24x12.00-12 lugs on my Tiger Cat. The previous owner put them on and they are much better "in the weed" than the Turf Tires I had on my old Zero. The Chen Sin tires look like they have a more aggressive lug than mine so I would think you would see a marked improvement in traction.

On my Tiger Cat there was a clearance problem and the previous owner installed 1/2" spacer plates. However, only 6 lug threads were holding the tires on and if my tire pressure went down just slightly the inside wall on the left tire would start to "rub". So I had 1" spacer plates made (Here for $120 delivered to Hawaii) which solved all of the issues.

View attachment 26231 View attachment 26230 View attachment 26229

I have a Tiger Cat with a 52" deck. What were the specs you gave to have the spacer plates built? Mine will be sent to Hawaii as well. Thanks!

whirly

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Tiger Cat with a 52" deck. What were the specs you gave to have the spacer plates built? Mine will be sent to Hawaii as well. Thanks!

I just called and they asked the questions. IICR, they wanted the the diameter of the hole in the center of the rim; the lug spacing and the thickness you want. I got a 1" spacer which seems to work just fine. They supply all of the attaching bolts and nuts. This was the easiest special order EVER.:thumbsup: