Traction

Threads
I have a new Tiger Cat with 24 X 9.50-12 tires. Is there a good alternative tire tread out there? Can you change tire size because the 24 X9.50-12 limits you in selection. I have ag tread on my Deere and Goodyear Terra Tires on my Simplicity (which I like a lot). I'm just used to better eats on my equipment ( my land is hilly and woods with shade at the bottom of the hill at both ends of the property, it's always soft next to the woods). Just curious if anyone is running more aggressive tread out there.

Threads
After a little searching around I see that if I would go to the 24 X 12-12 that the 61" Tiger Cat has I can get the super lug tread. Thinking rim will be good offset and hole pattern, just be out to the edge of my 52" deck.

Threads
I haven't pulled the trigger yet on changing tires or rims, but I've been stuck twice this year already and turning around next to the woods, going up hill, I just spin a lot. 24x12-12 would make it hard to edge with my 52" deck. I found a Cheng Shin 23x10.50-12 mfn. 23816241 tractor lug that will probably work with my rim, I hope. Anyone been through this traction problem please share your solution.

Last edited:

whirly

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have Carlisle AT101 24x12.00-12 lugs on my Tiger Cat. The previous owner put them on and they are much better "in the weed" than the Turf Tires I had on my old Zero. The Chen Sin tires look like they have a more aggressive lug than mine so I would think you would see a marked improvement in traction.

On my Tiger Cat there was a clearance problem and the previous owner installed 1/2" spacer plates. However, only 6 lug threads were holding the tires on and if my tire pressure went down just slightly the inside wall on the left tire would start to "rub". So I had 1" spacer plates made (Here for $120 delivered to Hawaii) which solved all of the issues.

skagside-web.jpg skagfront-web.jpg skagback-web.jpg

EA6BMECH

Threads
I've got traction issues too. I have a Tiger Cat 52. Slides way too much IMO on the property, although there are some steep places I go. Yesterday wasn't a very steep place at all, but once this puppy starts to go, there's no getting it back. Been pulled out by the tractor 5 times since I've had it. Bought it in the Fall (2013 model left over). My tires size is 22x11-10. I see RedEye has a 24x9......I wonder why? But looking for a good lug tire myself and though I'd cruise the forum and stumbled on this page. So can you point me in a direction/site that would have some lug tires at a good price, and do some of ya that have installed them glad you did??

Just found this Tire. Any opinions?

RoperGuy

Threads
Pop in to your local tire shop an they can show you many options and have them installed.

image-1583984361.jpg

Threads
Glad to see someones interested in this subject!
whirly, my question is do you have a 60" deck? If not, does your 24x12-12 cause you problems trying to cut close to trees,plants or going close to say a fence row? Thanks for the info on the spacer.
EA6BMECH man with that tread you'll definitely get some grip but I'd imagine your lawn would suffer. My 2014 Tiger Cat came with Kenda 24x9.50-12 Super Turfs on it. Inflated on the rim they are actually about 22" tall width is about right at the bulge.
RoperGuy I bet those work great for your tractor. Have super lugs on my JohnDeere and love'em.
My Simplicity has Goodyear terra tire xtra trac 31x15.50-15.It's hydrostatic, I could fly with these and grass was good but has a 60" deck, so, not so tight turns.goodyear-terra-tires.jpg
Man I'd love to find a tread like the xtra trac for a 12" rim. I use the Simplicity to get logs out of the woods now 600-700 pounders with a chain just draggen"em.
I'm still searching, Cheng Shin tractor lug looks good so far.23816241 tractor lug.JPG
Also found this Cheng Shin C828 but it's 25x10-12 I dont know but I'm liking that tread, just wish it was flatter on peak and 25" would be pushing it(clearance to tank wise).C828 LumberJack.jpg

Last edited:

whirly

Forum Newbie
Threads
whirly, my question is do you have a 60" deck? If not, does your 24x12-12 cause you problems trying to cut close to trees,plants or going close to say a fence row? Thanks for the info on the spacer.

I subscribe to this thread so I get emailed when there is traffic.

I have a 48" deck which is not quite even with the outside tire wall with the 1" spacers installed. I kill the grass about 2' around the few trees on the property with Honch so I haven't experienced any issues there.

EA6BMECH

Threads
EA6BMECH man with that tread you'll definitely get some grip but I'd imagine your lawn would suffer. My 2014 Tiger Cat came with Kenda 24x9.50-12 Super Turfs on it. Inflated on the rim they are actually about 22" tall width is about right at the bulge.
RoperGuy I bet those work great for your tractor. Have super lugs on my JohnDeere and love'em.
My Simplicity has Goodyear terra tire xtra trac 31x15.50-15.It's hydrostatic, I could fly with these and grass was good but has a 60" deck, so, not so tight turns.View attachment 26253
Man I'd love to find a tread like the xtra trac for a 12" rim. I use the Simplicity to get logs out of the woods now 600-700 pounders with a chain just draggen"em.
I'm still searching, Cheng Shin tractor lug looks good so far.View attachment 26254
Also found this Cheng Shin C828 but it's 25x10-12 I dont know but I'm liking that tread, just wish it was flatter on peak and 25" would be pushing it(clearance to tank wise).View attachment 26255

:thumbsup: