Toro 2 Stroke Suzuki Running Problem

jjw2112

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I recently got a Toro mower with the two stroke Suzuki engine Model# 26682. I had heard these were really good mowers so when I saw one for sale on craigslist for $40 I figured it was a good deal because it seemed to run great.

When I used it for the first time it did run great at first, cutting through tall thick grass like it was nothing. It was after about 20 minutes when I started having problems. At first, the mower would not run very fast at full throttle. I then closed the choke a little bit and it would run better for a while but the engine would surge. Eventually I had to close the choke all the way for it to run and then eventually even on full choke the mower would run, but not very fast, to the point where it was hardly useful.

After doing some research, it seemed like maybe the carburetor gaskets were bad and air was leaking around them, causing a lean mixture from air getting in after the carburetor. So I took the carburetor off, cleaned it (even though it was already pretty much perfectly clean), and cut out 3 new gaskets to replace all of the gaskets between the carburetor and engine. After doing that, the engine fired right up on the first pull and was running better than it had before when it was working.

Well, again after about 20-30 minutes, same problem. The mower would only run with choke and eventually would hardly run at all, and it surged. This was early today and I have not tried it since.

Any ideas on what might be the problem? I don't think its a clogged fuel filter or anything because when I took the fuel hose off of the carburetor, I still had some gas in the tank and it seemed to flow easily out of the tank just from gravity.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm not really sure what it could be at this point.

jjw2112

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I tried to start it today and now it won't even start. It took about 10 pulls for it to even sputter a little bit on full choke and almost start, but it never really got running. I checked for spark and confirmed that it does have spark so that shouldn't be a problem (and I never really thought it was a problem).

So I guess maybe its fuel related? Not really sure but I guess the next thing I'll probably do is try to backflush the fuel filter if that is a problem.

If anyone else has any other ideas, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

John W

hawkz28

Forum Newbie
Threads
will it pop off with a quick blast of starting fluid or carb cleaner?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds to me the carb needs rebuilt. Personal experience says its worth the investment to just buy a new carb with gaskets. Especially since you only spent 40 on a mower that will last a life time. The deck, wheels, trans, handle, cables, belts will all die long before the engine does

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd replace the fuel filter. It's the type that plugs into the fuel line -- right? That's what my Suzuki-Toro has.

That's a great engine but it's very sensitive to fuel clogging. If it's not the fuel filter -- try cleaning the carb. Also, if you look down into the gas tank you shouldn't see any crud at all -- the whole fuel system has to be clean.