Raptor SD 54 deck clogging

Kremeneon

Threads
Hi All,
I mowed again with my Raptor SD 54 last night. On the first mow last week, even going slow, I clogged the discharge a half dozen times. Last night was more of the same, it stops discharging. I shut it down and pull out a brick of grass right at the base of the chute, where it hangs over the right blade. Fire it up and off we go until it clogs again. On the 3rd clog 1/2 way through the yard I tried something and lifted the chute up just 3-4" or so with a bungee so it is level or slightly up instead of pointing down. no more clogging. I think the grass coming off the partially exposed right blade goes straight up and hits the chute, sticks there, and then becomes a barrier to anything getting past it and out. I need to figure out some sort of operator controlled chute mechanism.

On another topic, Where have loose bolts been found? when putting the machine away I heard some rattling that I will have to chase down.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi All,
I mowed again with my Raptor SD 54 last night. On the first mow last week, even going slow, I clogged the discharge a half dozen times. Last night was more of the same, it stops discharging. I shut it down and pull out a brick of grass right at the base of the chute, where it hangs over the right blade. Fire it up and off we go until it clogs again. On the 3rd clog 1/2 way through the yard I tried something and lifted the chute up just 3-4" or so with a bungee so it is level or slightly up instead of pointing down. no more clogging. I think the grass coming off the partially exposed right blade goes straight up and hits the chute, sticks there, and then becomes a barrier to anything getting past it and out. I need to figure out some sort of operator controlled chute mechanism.

On another topic, Where have loose bolts been found? when putting the machine away I heard some rattling that I will have to chase down.

I'm not suggesting you do this but I had the same problem on my 48" Z-Force. I finally got tired of messing with a bungee cord and I used a Dremel cutting tool and removed two inches of chute and it seemed to help. As far as a chute mechanism check with your dealer and see if they sell the same type as the Dixie chopper uses, there sweet but a little expensive. When it comes to loose bolts I do a tightening pattern on the entire machine for the first few mowing's after that you shouldn't have any problems.

ffk_pennywise

Threads

The only thing to come loose on mine so far is the piston thingamajig that attaches to the front of the steering arm. Left side. I suddenly noticed that my left arm moved significantly easier than the right. I finished mowing and took a look and found the bolt that attaches the piston had come out. Didnt lose the bolt though. I threaded it back in nice and tight. We'll see if it holds now. 5 hours on the mower.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi All,

With the info you posted, I suggest that you try using the rule-of-thumb of not cutting more than 1/3 of the total height of the grass(if you don't already do that). I.E. if the grass is 3" tall set the deck at 2" which would cut 1" off the top(1/3 of 3" = 1"). Also, try mowing only if there hasn't been rain in the last 48 hours(grass already has a very high moisture content, but wet grass after a recent rain is bad news) and even try mowing later in the day after the sun has completely dried the grass from any overnight dew.

Kremeneon

Threads
grass was dry, last rain was 3 days prior, but spring grass is obviously _loaded_ with internal moisture, so that could certainly be part of it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a adjustable cord. Most times I just lift the Shute all the way up.
Spreads the clipping out better. And no clogging.

Kremeneon

Threads
I mowed again last night, after installing my new Gator blades (Oregon 596-808). There were significantly more clippings exiting the chute, and flying further. No clogging. The grass was also dryer internally. After the yard I took it to the ~acre of neighborhood green space behind my house, which was up to about 8", and I clipped it at yard height of "I" on the mower (3.5", why are there letters here and not numbers ?!?!?!?! ) no problem with power, clogging, or ejection. Then just for poops I hit ~200sqft of knee high pasture that I had to go past on the way back around into the yard, I did lift the chute a little, maybe 20 degrees above horizontal, but again no problems as it tossed a wall of chopped salad out the side.

I think the rattling I heard may have been the transmission release tabs/rings rattling in their slots on the frame. I checked every bolt I could reach before mowing and there was nothing I could get more than 1/8 turn on to reasonable tightness.

For me, so far, on the SD 54, Gators are win.

Last edited:

RaptorSD

Threads
No problems here with (sharp)Excel high lift blade, Pix kevlar belt from dealer and raising the chute just above level. Cut through some stuff today I thought would give me trouble, no bog whatsoever.

Clutch shim kit installed. it looks like the belt might be better aligned with deck. Good amount of spacing too get it done if you haven't already.

13 hours and counting, been good so far.

Kremeneon

Threads
No problems here with (sharp)Excel high lift blade

It didn't come with HL blades did it? the lift on these Gators is significantly more than the originals on mine.

How can I identify if I have the clutch shim fix installed? Dealer didn't mention anything and hasn't called about it. Mine was 'hot off the line' so he said, wonder if it was already done.

RaptorSD

Threads
It didn't come with HL blades did it? the lift on these Gators is significantly more than the originals on mine.

How can I identify if I have the clutch shim fix installed? Dealer didn't mention anything and hasn't called about it. Mine was 'hot off the line' so he said, wonder if it was already done.

Stock blades are about a med lift I think, dull at that..although they do leave a nice uniform cut with no spigs left in avg height grass. I sharpened those meanwhile running the high lift to do some bush hogging. Look at the clutch and you'll see a stack of washers on the bolt if they've done the update, I'll snap a pic later.