blade spindles

tbird

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone make just a "good" spindle. My John Deere LA130 goes thru them way too fast. Used to get spindles from John deere but cost too much for a Chinese product. Now getting spindles from mail in. No markings on spindles at all, nothing. No instructions. But they are half the price of John Deere Chinese unit. I have been thru 6 spindles since 2006......not counting the originals. Just trying to find a good spindle at a good price.....don't care where it's made.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
That is close to spindle replacement at every 2 years. Have they been sealed bearings or grease able with a Zerk fitting?

High failure rate for these simple and usually durable parts.

tbird

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is close to spindle replacement at every 2 years. Have they been sealed bearings or grease able with a Zerk fitting?

High failure rate for these simple and usually durable parts.

Yes, all of the spindles have Zerk fittings. I have been using high temp bearing grease. I was hoping that some company made a longer lasting more substantial product. The housing of all that I have purchased are aluminum. I guess I'll be forced to get what I pay for. Get a Hustler or Grasshopper. Just trying to save a buck. Should have known that when a product has no name or numbers on it it can't be taken seriously. Thank for your help.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most every riding mower uses the same sealed bearing even if the housing has a grease zerk.
A couple things that I have found helps.
Take the plastic seal off one side of each bearing so the grease can get to them.

Replace the bearings with ones with steel seals. That are made to take grease.

On my cub cadet the groove the bearing sits on would wear down. I used thin brass washers. More then doubled the life of the housing.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The spindles should last the life of the mower. Are you over greasing them?

tbird

Forum Newbie
Threads
The spindles should last the life of the mower. Are you over greasing them?

I have been greasing them by the book as best as I can tell. But now I grease them until grease comes out of the spindle because they rattle so loud. I cut about one acre of grass once a week during the season. When I first moved here I bought a mower from Lowes made by Noma.....whoever that is. Lasted 18 years. It finally wore holes in the deck because of the sandy soil. It had sealed spindles the were never replaced. Have had two jd since then with the same spindle problems. Just saying. I got the last jd at Lowes.....they don't sell the Noma made mower any longer. Just thought I would try to find a replacement spindle like the one on the ole Lowes Noma mower. I've been paying about $40 for the last spindles.