grasshopper 721d with 9661 deck. how do i flip it up?

kildragon6

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / grasshopper 721d with 9661 deck. how do i flip it up?
Hi guys new to the forum and hope someone can help. I just got a 2000 721d2 with a 61 deck 9661(sl61). I've been trying to figure out how to tilt the deck back so I can clean it, didn't come with a Manuel. I'm thinking somthings missing or it just won't tilt. I've looked everywhere but can't seem to find an anwser . Thanks. Robert.

bobbysr

Threads
I had a 1999 GH with the same deck. I'll try to remember ths proccess. First uncouple the drive shaft. Just pull the ring around the shaft - it's spring loaded. Move it aside,. You dont have to disconnect from deck. Then collapse your height arm. There is some sort of release at the bottom of arm. It will fall foward. Next, there you should a have a metal rod that is tucked in the long hollow tube that runs along the back of the deck. Use this rod as leverage. Or if your strong enough, you can use your arms. On the 2 large metal arms that connect the deck to the mower, there are 2 spring release levers. You must slightly pick up the back of the deck (one side) to release tension and flip those levers. Then do the same for the other side. The deck will drop down. Lift the front of the deck with that rod, or just use brut strength. Let me know if you have any other questions.

kildragon6

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, does the deck lock up? Or do I have to prop it after I lift it?

bobbysr

Threads
There should be a small rod that mounts on the front of the deck. Remove it. When the deck is up, this rod connects (somewhere - can't remember) to the deck and the other end connects to a small fitting near your seat. You dont really need to use this small rod. it's for safety. the deck will be straight up 90 degress to floor.

roanokepatriot

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a 1999 GH with the same deck. I'll try to remember ths proccess. First uncouple the drive shaft. Just pull the ring around the shaft - it's spring loaded. Move it aside,. You dont have to disconnect from deck. Then collapse your height arm. There is some sort of release at the bottom of arm. It will fall foward. Next, there you should a have a metal rod that is tucked in the long hollow tube that runs along the back of the deck. Use this rod as leverage. Or if your strong enough, you can use your arms. On the 2 large metal arms that connect the deck to the mower, there are 2 spring release levers. You must slightly pick up the back of the deck (one side) to release tension and flip those levers. Then do the same for the other side. The deck will drop down. Lift the front of the deck with that rod, or just use brut strength. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I am beyond frustrated. I can't find a release at the bottom of the arm. I see what seems like a bend in the metal, with another arm twisted the opposite, that when squeezed together, these may release over a nub, but in no way can I get these two together to bypass the nub, thus collapsing the height arm. I found the metal rod tucked in the long hollow tube, but have no idea where to use this as leverage. I have no idea what spring release levers need to be released and/or flipped. Can't find a video or photos anywhere to illustrate anyone working on a grasshopper mower deck WITHOUT an electronic lift assist. Thanks for your consideration.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Grasshopper will send you an owners manual even if you bought the mower 5th hand.
If you know your number they can be downloaded from the web.
You can even call the service department for help.
FWIW if it has not been up for a long while fittings do rust together.
I have only worked on one hopper and it had been sitting in a paddock for a log time so everything was rusted solid.
GrassHopper were really helpful sent me out a lot of technical info so I could pull it apart & get it running again.

Ida-Boy

Threads
I can tell you that I have a 725 with the 61" deck that flips up... I use a small carriage jack that I roll under the center front wheels of the deck, by using a 3' long 2x4 that I use a a leaver to lift the front of the deck 2" or 3". I did a number on my back one time and learned that lesson the hard way...
Once the deck is up say 12" it is much easier to lift up and connect the support rod into place.
I only mow a tad over 2 acres anymore so this is a once a year (end) project for me. I always service and clean the deck with sharp blades for winter storage... a great time to spray bomb the underside of the deck to slow the rusting that occurs over time.
Year end storage is a power wash after I use an air scaler and putty knife to clean the deck, spray bomb with the color of your choice and sharp blades. My deck is 15 years old and still solid.