Going into business building lawnmowers

pollyannasmum

Threads
Is it feasible to start a business building and selling lawnmowers? Would you start by maybe buying old lawnmowers and refurbishing them or is there a better way? My son is really interested in machinery and I thought this might be a good way to start him up.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is it feasible to start a business building and selling lawnmowers? Would you start by maybe buying old lawnmowers and refurbishing them or is there a better way? My son is really interested in machinery and I thought this might be a good way to start him up.

Although that's how it was done in the early (pre-WWII) days, I'd think the startup costs would be prohibitive today, unless you found some investors (and you had a good business plan to sell them on). Don't think you'd make enough with even a successful refurbishing business to cash flow even the machinery costs.

But, that's my opinion......:wink:

mullins87

Threads
I agree with twall. I just built an offset mower and have already had two offers for me to build more. However, the price I would have to charge just to break even would get pretty close to the cost of a Swisher. Now I do think there could be some money in refurbishing older mowers, but I think it would have to start out almost as a hobby doing one or two at a time, and then the profit margin would be slim at best.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with twall. I just built an offset mower and have already had two offers for me to build more. However, the price I would have to charge just to break even would get pretty close to the cost of a Swisher. Now I do think there could be some money in refurbishing older mowers, but I think it would have to start out almost as a hobby doing one or two at a time, and then the profit margin would be slim at best.

What's an "offset mower"?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

Like this....
Swisher Products : T-44 Trailmower

There have been a lot of large heavily funded companies gone broke or traded hands, trying to make a buck in mowers ... its not imposable bit it is unlikely...
You could look into a small mower repair shop... a good, well run, all around fix it shop could do well... :smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like this....
....You could look into a small mower repair shop... a good, well run, all around fix it shop could do well... :smile:KennyV

...and I'd personally LOVE to see more of those! :biggrin:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like this....
Swisher Products : T-44 Trailmower

There have been a lot of large heavily funded companies gone broke or traded hands, trying to make a buck in mowers ... its not imposable bit it is unlikely...
You could look into a small mower repair shop... a good, well run, all around fix it shop could do well... :smile:KennyV

Thanks -- that could be useful particularly if the offset mower could be used sideways on a steep grade -- mowing the side of a ditch, for example.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks -- that could be useful particularly if the offset mower could be used sideways on a steep grade -- mowing the side of a ditch, for example.

You can do that ... but must be careful that the pulling machine is heavy enough not to be pulled down into the ditch... :smile:KennyV

mullins87

Threads

Here's mine....

0061.JPG

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It might not make a good money making business, but would give some experience and a reputation if he could at least break even. I think it would depend on your area and demand.