Recomendation Needed: Lawn Tractor for 1/2+ acre

redrob2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just moved into a new place and need my first lawn tractor/mower. The job is simple - Mow & Tow (once and a while). I've looked at the JD D125 and D130, as well as the Husky YTH22V46. They seem fine but I hear bad things about all mowers. Is there one I'm missing? $1800 is probably the top of my range and don't think I need to go any higher to do what I need the tractor to do. I'd love some recommendations as I've scoured many reviews and feel like I'm just losing my mind at this point with all of the conflicting stories. Every one seems to have a different issue or problem. Love to hear from you guys. Thanks in advance!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just moved into a new place and need my first lawn tractor/mower. The job is simple - Mow & Tow (once and a while). I've looked at the JD D125 and D130, as well as the Husky YTH22V46. They seem fine but I hear bad things about all mowers. Is there one I'm missing? $1800 is probably the top of my range and don't think I need to go any higher to do what I need the tractor to do. I'd love some recommendations as I've scoured many reviews and feel like I'm just losing my mind at this point with all of the conflicting stories. Every one seems to have a different issue or problem. Love to hear from you guys. Thanks in advance!

Cub cadet ltx1040.

JPDVM2014

Forum Newbie
Threads
I joined to ask this exact question. I've come to the same problem. Apparently all tractors aren't very good until you are up into the $3k range. :smile: I've narrowed it down to the JD D125 or the Husqvarna YTH18K46. I'm leaning towards the husky since a friend of mine has one and likes it, plus i can borrow his attachments.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I joined to ask this exact question. I've come to the same problem. Apparently all tractors aren't very good until you are up into the $3k range. :smile: I've narrowed it down to the JD D125 or the Husqvarna YTH18K46. I'm leaning towards the husky since a friend of mine has one and likes it, plus i can borrow his attachments.

The husqvarna is a better built tractor then the JD

Have you looked at cub cadet?

I think for the price range you looking at they are the best mower for the money.

I like my husqvarna yth2448

I buy a new mower every year last year was a cub cadet. I put over 1000 hours on it never replaced drive belts. Sold it last month for $750. Still ran and cut like new.

JPDVM2014

Forum Newbie
Threads
redrob, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but since we are looking for essentially the same thing (mowers, price range, acreage) I figure it's better to have the discussion in one place. Anyway. I haven't really looked at the Cub Cadets. The only reason is that I have found more negative reviews of them than the other two. A lot of people say they aren't as good as they used to be. Obviously, your experience is different. I'll have to revisit them since the Cub Cadet dealer is actually quite a bit closer than the others, so bringing it in for repairs would be easier.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
redrob, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but since we are looking for essentially the same thing (mowers, price range, acreage) I figure it's better to have the discussion in one place. Anyway. I haven't really looked at the Cub Cadets. The only reason is that I have found more negative reviews of them than the other two. A lot of people say they aren't as good as they used to be. Obviously, your experience is different. I'll have to revisit them since the Cub Cadet dealer is actually quite a bit closer than the others, so bringing it in for repairs would be easier.

Remember the thing with reading reviews is the people that like the mower don't come back to say they do.

The only thing I needed to replace was spindle bearings a couple times. But almost every mower brand uses the same bearing.

I am very hard on mowers I run them fast.
last summer I was cutting 70 to 100 yards a week. Around 20 a week would be over a foot tall.

My brother in laws jd would not keep up.

You can't go wrong with the cub cadet or the husqvarna. Made by two different company's but both will handle abuse

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

I would stay away from the Cub Cadets at big box retailers like Home Depot. The ones you can get at a CC dealer are much better quality. I consider Husqvarna's one of the best bang-for-your-buck lawn tractor out there. If you can afford it, the YT48XLS(approx. $2,899) is a beast of a lawn tractor with a fabricated/welded deck(very rare on a lt), hydro tranny with locking differential and Kawasaki FR series engine!!! It has a very good warranty(3 year, with a 5 year chassis & axle and lifetime deck) which tend to make it worth the extra money. That's what I would buy if I were wanting a current lawn tractor offering.

redrob2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well thanks for the update guys. I've always leaned towards the Husky but my dad who is usually pretty good with this stuff looked it and the JD and felt like some parts on the Husky were cheaper than the JD so I started leaning away from it. From the sounds of it though it has a pretty good reputation. I haven't looked at the Cadets yet, might be time to look at them as well. Boy, so many choices! Thanks again for all the help and advice. If there are more out there keep 'em coming!

redrob2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just went ant took a look at the Husky and the Cub Cadet LTX1045. I really liked the Cub and was in the same boat of others on here saying they didn't look at them much because of the reviews. Seemed like a really solid machine and slightly easier maintenance than the Husky. Any reason to get the 1040 over the 1045 for only $100 difference? Seems like a no brainer for the little bit of extra cash. Tell me otherwise though!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just went ant took a look at the Husky and the Cub Cadet LTX1045. I really liked the Cub and was in the same boat of others on here saying they didn't look at them much because of the reviews. Seemed like a really solid machine and slightly easier maintenance than the Husky. Any reason to get the 1040 over the 1045 for only $100 difference? Seems like a no brainer for the little bit of extra cash. Tell me otherwise though!

They are really both the same so do you want a 42 or a 46 inch deck.

What I like is the welded frame and cast iron Front axle. And the two steering arms better then one arm and a tie rod.
And don't forget the 10 gauge deck and the 4 anti scalp wheels.