Help me choose a new mower

smsucigarguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I am in the market for a new mower following 8 years of trusty service with my plain-Jane Troybilt. The mowers I am considering are the following:

Husqvarna HU775BBC
$362
I had this one and traded a friend for it once I got my Troybilt working again. It was a great mower except for one nitpicky thing. The front wheels are set in from the back so trying to cut close to the edge of something was more difficult than with a mower with front and rear wheel that were aligned.

Toro Recycler 20333
$375
I like everything about this one except I am unsure about the Personal Pace system. The concept seems simple enough, but i am use to having more direct control, like another handle or the squeeze control on the Husky. It was reviewed very well by Consumer Reports

Honda HRR216K9VYA
$483
I like this mower but have two concerns. First, the GCV160 engine seems to be underpowered for a self-propelled mower. To get the larger GCV190 engine, I'd be looking at spending a lot more money ($676). I am also not sure about the speed control. Many comments relate how difficult the control is to use.

So, what do you guys think? Any other mowers I should consider? I appreciate your time!

jimrs

Threads
My brother has a Toro Personal pace and swears by it. I have never used it but I don't think you will have a problem with it. I have a Honda and I love the drive system I have never had a problem with that drive system. It's adjustable so you can set it up to your hand. I like it more than trying to hold three things at once Blade Clutch, Drive lever, and Handle. Just use my thumb and push the drive control. I think either would be a good choice. Try and go to a dealer and see if you can try the drive systems out while cutting some grass.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When Toro's personal pace system came out 12years ago, everyone waited for it to fail, they are still waiting. The only time I have had someone say they didn't like it, was because it added to much to the cost of the mower. I'm a Toro guy, so I must tell you that I would upgrade to the cast deck with the better wheels. Steel deck wheels just don't hold up the way I would like them. I would not recommend the steel deck to anyone who doesn't have either a small lawn or one that is relatively smooth.

smsucigarguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I might be able to swing a pretty good deal on this mower instead:

Honda HRX217HYA
approx $488

What do you guys think of this one?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I might be able to swing a pretty good deal on this mower instead:

Honda HRX217HYA
approx $488

What do you guys think of this one?

Compared to the Honda HRR models with a steel deck, the Honda HRX has a longer warranty, including a lifetime warranty on the composite (NeXite) mower deck. The HRX has the larger, more powerful GCV190 (190 cc) engine. The HRX has larger wheels, bearings on all four wheels, a super-nice hydrostatic transmission, the list goes on. The HRX is Honda's top-of-the-line model, and the HYA with the hydrostatic trans. is considered top-shelf. Only the electric start version is technically "nicer" for another $100.

Not sure about that price, $488 seems very low(!) The list price on the HYA is $799. Maybe this is a refurbished one that has been returned? Double-check, as the return policy on refurbs varies from store-to-store, and is not the usually generous 30 days on brand-new units.

smsucigarguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Compared to the Honda HRR models with a steel deck, the Honda HRX has a longer warranty, including a lifetime warranty on the composite (NeXite) mower deck. The HRX has the larger, more powerful GCV190 (190 cc) engine. The HRX has larger wheels, bearings on all four wheels, a super-nice hydrostatic transmission, the list goes on. The HRX is Honda's top-of-the-line model, and the HYA with the hydrostatic trans. is considered top-shelf. Only the electric start version is technically "nicer" for another $100.

Not sure about that price, $488 seems very low(!) The list price on the HYA is $799. Maybe this is a refurbished one that has been returned? Double-check, as the return policy on refurbs varies from store-to-store, and is not the usually generous 30 days on brand-new units.

The price is that low because of a gift card I was able to use that I did not count in the cost. I actually ended up getting it for $569 w/ tax. I haven't unboxed it yet, but it seems like it is a sweet mower.

JPDVM2014

Forum Newbie
Threads
I guess it's a little late since it seems like you already bought the Honda, but I have the Honda you had in your first post, and the drive system is great. It took me a few mows to get the angle adjusted to where I like it, but after that, it is great to use. I find the drive control easier to use if you adjust it to use the base of your thumb/heel of your hand instead of using just your thumb.

smsucigarguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I guess it's a little late since it seems like you already bought the Honda, but I have the Honda you had in your first post, and the drive system is great. It took me a few mows to get the angle adjusted to where I like it, but after that, it is great to use. I find the drive control easier to use if you adjust it to use the base of your thumb/heel of your hand instead of using just your thumb.

How does yours do as far as cutting in higher grass? Does it get bogged down a lot? That was my main reason for stepping up to the HRX, the 190cc engine vs the 160cc.

JPDVM2014

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had it get bogged down a few times. I have found that if I keep the blade on a pretty steep angle, I don't have any issues. I keep the back on the length I want, and the front a couple notches higher. Having said that, if I could have afforded the bigger engine at the time, I would have gotten it. Better to have too much power than not enough.