Scott's John Deere L 2048 blades will not engage

Gmblu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pulled blades off to sharpen. Put blades back on, now PTO will not engage. When I pull switch knob, I hear a click noise, can see the part under mower move, but blades do not engage. Any suggestions.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check to see that the belts a routed correctly and moving freely.

Gmblu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Belt is properly routed and free (not binding or hung up). I do notice that the belt does not appear to be very tight around the pulleys.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have an electric PTO, then the belt from the PTO to the deck should be tight at all times. Check to see that the idler pulley, making sure that it has full travel and moving freely. Also try this, turn the key switch to the run position, and turn the PTO switch on. You should hear the clutch engage. Also, you might have some one watch the clutch while you turn the PTO on, to see if it is engaging.

Gmblu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found my problem. The reason for the loose fitting belt was a broken spring that attaches to the idler pulley bracket and deck slot. Noticed end of spring laying on the deck, and idler pulley bracket under no tension. Bought new spring ($7.00) and installed it. Belt now tight, and blades now engage. Thanks to all who offered advice on what the possible problem could be.