Where do you draw the line between a garden tractor and a compact utility tractor?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Where do you draw the line between a garden tractor and a compact utility tractor?
Looking at the picture of new member bakerg's Massey GC 2400 made me realize that on LMF, garden tractors are mentioned frequently, but not CUT's (compact utility tractors) His GC 2400 is basically the same model as a GC 2410, which can handle a MMM, FEL, and backhoe. My Deere 4210 can also handle all three attachments, where my older Deere 318 can only take the MMM and optional FEL. The 318 was considered a garden tractor.

So, can we say the difference between a garden tractor and a CUT is the CUT's capability to run a backhoe in addition to the MMM and FEL? That's my opinion on the issue. Any comments?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Where do you draw the line between a garden tractor and a compact utility tractor?
What about Kubotas? I've seen a backhoe & bucket on one that was no bigger than my AGWAY.

I know that the ability to draw at least a single-bottom plow was the litmus as to whether it was a lawn tractor, or a garden tractor.

You raise a good question.

I would think it depends on who you talk to.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What about Kubotas? I've seen a backhoe & bucket on one that was no bigger than my AGWAY.

I know that the ability to draw at least a single-bottom plow was the litmus as to whether it was a lawn tractor, or a garden tractor.

You raise a good question.

A lot of mid-sized lawn tractors can pull a single bottom plow...indeed, someplace here someone was saying his 5.5 hp Briggs could pull a plow and disc....:confused2:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
A lot of mid-sized lawn tractors can pull a single bottom plow...indeed, someplace here someone was saying his 5.5 hp Briggs could pull a plow and disc....:confused2:

I'm just going by what I read. That itself was the Author's opinion, but at tractor shows, it seems to be the way someof them divvy up the genre.

Again, probably depends 100% on who you talk to, as to there is no real, in-stone definition.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm just going by what I read. That itself was the Author's opinion, but at tractor shows, it seems to be the way someof them divvy up the genre.

Again, probably depends 100% on who you talk to, as to there is no real, in-stone definition.

Just posted the issue on TBN...wonder what we will learn there.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just posted the issue on TBN...wonder what we will learn there.

Is it in 'the front porch'? If so, I needn't even bother loggin in.......:laughing:

Besides, lotsa new people today here!

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Quite simply, the presence of a ROPS is where the line is drawn. No ROPS? Garden tractor. ROPS? Compact tractor.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Quite simply, the presence of a ROPS is where the line is drawn. No ROPS? Garden tractor. ROPS? Compact tractor.

Really? How about stuff from a few years ago......when virtually the same model had no ROPS one year, then it was added the next, while next to nothing else changed. Did the designation change?

Don't some Zero-turns have a ROPS? Wouldn't consider THEM a Compact tractor in the same way a Kubota is.......hmmmm:confused:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Really? How about stuff from a few years ago......when virtually the same model had no ROPS one year, then it was added the next, while next to nothing else changed. Did the designation change?

Don't some Zero-turns have a ROPS? Wouldn't consider THEM a Compact tractor in the same way a Kubota is.......hmmmm:confused:

Oh boy, you've opened a can of worms now...

Bigger wheels in the back
Smaller wheels in the front

Oh wait... ZTRs have that too!

I guess it's a CUT when the MFG says it is. :biggrin:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh boy, you've opened a can of worms now...

Bigger wheels in the back
Smaller wheels in the front

Oh wait... ZTRs have that too!

I guess it's a CUT when the MFG says it is. :biggrin:

That was my thought, too.