I am looking at a buying a Hustler Raptor SD 60" should I give anything else a look?

Natas516

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / I am looking at a buying a Hustler Raptor SD 60" should I give anything else a look?
I am looking at a buying a Hustler Raptor SD 60" should I give anything else a look?

Like the title states I am looking at purchasing the Hustler Raptor SD 60" after looking at them at my local dealer. Is there anything else in the $4,499.00 price range that I should be looking at? I will be mowing 1 3/4 acre of mostly flat land with it. My buddy who works for a Husqvarna dealer has been trying to talk me into buying the MZ5424,S while I like the looks of it better than the Hustler and it does come with the ZT3100 instead of the 2800, it has a stamped deck and doesn't feel as heavy duty as the Raptor SD.

So I thought I would stop by here and try to gather your valued opinions on other models I should be looking at. If I could just talk my father out of his Scag 72" Turf Tiger that he literally mows about 3/4 acre with, (He likes ridiculous toys) I would be all set.

bucsfan714

Threads
  • / I am looking at a buying a Hustler Raptor SD 60" should I give anything else a look?
Re: I am looking at a buying a Hustler Raptor SD 60" should I give anything else a lo

I just purchased a raptor sd 60". I too considered the mz5424s and decided against it do to the stamped deck.

I think for the $ the RSD is going to be awesome. If you are willing to pay above 5 grand look into the MZT 52 from Husky.

I wanted to get the most bang for the buck. There is always something better for more money. It never ends.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: I am looking at a buying a Hustler Raptor SD 60" should I give anything else a lo

I just purchased a raptor sd 60". I too considered the mz5424s and decided against it do to the stamped deck.

I think for the $ the RSD is going to be awesome. If you are willing to pay above 5 grand look into the MZT 52 from Husky.

I wanted to get the most bang for the buck. There is always something better for more money. It never ends.

A 60" deck for a 1 3/4 acres is a little much. You could do fine with a 52"-54" and save few dollars(or get better quality in other components). But, if you are flexible with the budget, as eluded to by user bucsfan714, that Husqvarna M-ZT 52 is worth looking at as well as a 52" Gravely ZT HD which you could also get into for around $5100. If you are spending several thousand bucks for a ZTR you definitely want to stay away from the stamped decks. There are bunches of good quality machines out there along with the ones you have looked at including Toro, Dixie Chopper, Big Dog, etc. Welcome to the head-spinning experience of choosing/buying a new ZTR!!!!!

Natas516

Forum Newbie
Threads

Well, I just picked up a new 60" Raptor SD. I got what I would consider to be a good deal on it. I looked at the Kubota Kommander, Bad boy ST Elite and the Dixie Chopper Zee 2 and at the end of the day for the price and features I thought the Hustler was the best deal. Hopefully it'll treat me well for a long time. I'll post back up my thoughts after the first mow.

MRCo.

Threads

Versus the others you looked at, I think you made a good choice. I just sold a 60" to a local church and mowed some when I dropped it off, it lopped ten inch grass down and left a great finish. They love it.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Well, I just picked up a new 60" Raptor SD. I got what I would consider to be a good deal on it. I looked at the Kubota Kommander, Bad boy ST Elite and the Dixie Chopper Zee 2 and at the end of the day for the price and features I thought the Hustler was the best deal. Hopefully it'll treat me well for a long time. I'll post back up my thoughts after the first mow.

Just curious, what Hydro Transmission does the Raptor SD have(and is it serviceable). Also, if you don't mind sharing, what did you end up paying for that 60"?

MRCo.

Threads

Just curious, what Hydro Transmission does the Raptor SD have(and is it serviceable). Also, if you don't mind sharing, what did you end up paying for that 60"?

ZT2800, serviceable.

Natas516

Forum Newbie
Threads

It has the ZT2800 transmission. I paid $4,300.00 + Tax delivered, set-up and a full tank of gas. I was pretty happy with the purchase price and customer service I received.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

It has the ZT2800 transmission. I paid $4,300.00 + Tax delivered, set-up and a full tank of gas. I was pretty happy with the purchase price and customer service I received.

That's not a bad price, but there are others I would have considered in that price range. For instance, you can get a Dixie Chopper Zee 2 with the ZT2800's in a 54" deck for around $4k. I'm still not convinced the Raptor is such a hot buy with some of the problems I've already read about on the forum from new owners(most of them I believe are related to the clutch recall). I hope the dealer corrected that problem for you before delivery and that you don't experience a broken belt or tension spring. Of course, that's what a warranty is for(and Hustlers come with a good one) and hopefully Hustler will get the initial kinks worked out on this series quickly and ramp up the quality control.

P.S.
All of the DC Zee 2 models come standard with an engine guard. It was a mistake for Hustler to charge $70 for one one all models except the RSD 60":0(

Last edited:

jaredschwartz

Threads

I just purchased a band new raptor sd 60. I was in love with it at first until I started looking closer at it when I got it home. I noticed surface corrosion all over the aluminum engine and aluminum hydros. Is this normal? should I take it back and exchange it? Also I engaged the blades on the concrete pad at 1/2 and full throttle and the engine kept stalling, It did this about 6 out of 10 times, any info on that? Also Havent even mowed with it yet because its been to wet around my house.