Mower deck 345 John Deere Question

Darrel

Threads
I have a 345 John Deere with a 54 " deck and I am having a problem with it when I mow. Every time I mow it throws grass clippings and dust all over me and the mower. I have had this mower for several years with no problems. A couple of years ago I bought a set of Gator blades for it and I dont remember if it started then or it has been doing this for years. There used to be a rubber guard around the front bottom of the mower deck but it wore off after a summer of use. I have to find out what is the problem it is impossible to mow with it this way , in less than thirty minutes it has the radiator screen all covered with grass and dust you simply can not mow with it . Any ideas what to do or maybe I need to go buy some blades that came on the 345. Thanks Alot

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
You may have too much 'fan' action from the gator blades.

Welcome! :smile:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you mowing much 'New Green' grass now...?
The old dry dormant grass that is going to be present in the first scalping of this season, will be rather dirty and blowing every where...
You might look under the deck to see if there is anything amiss blade upside down (it can happen when mounting and it will still mow, just not as good...)
Since you didn't remember this being this bas last fall.. it could be the extra turbulence from the Gators, like twall said, coupled with the dried out winter grasses... If that's it, It will be much better as you get into the heavier greener new spring growth... :smile:KennyV

Gil

Threads
Own a 345 and use the "Gator" blades. They do have a bit of "blow", but not to the extent you describe. Check to see they are mounted correctly. Are they the correct blades for the mower? Is the mower deck clean? Yes, the first mowing or two in the spring does have a lot of dust and dead grass so you will have a bit more "blow" than normal.

danarochelle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the EXACT problem with mine. I have also lost the rubber guard around the bottom. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I too had new blades put on (not sure what kind) and when I told the tech what it was doing he took those off and put my old ones back on and it STILL does it. I am completely covered in dirt when I get off the mower. I also got the answer that "maybe it's just dead dry grass" WRONG! I have had mine for over 7 years and have NEVER had this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Darrel

Threads
I have the EXACT problem with mine. I have also lost the rubber guard around the bottom. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I too had new blades put on (not sure what kind) and when I told the tech what it was doing he took those off and put my old ones back on and it STILL does it. I am completely covered in dirt when I get off the mower. I also got the answer that "maybe it's just dead dry grass" WRONG! I have had mine for over 7 years and have NEVER had this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Mine does this year round with green grass or when ever I mulch leaves . I took off the gators and put original blades back on with on luck. I asked my JD dealer and they have no idea what to do . Thought I would see if anyone on there might have some ideas. Thanks Darrel