Blades Ariens riding mower doesn't lift crabgrass

bradcash

Threads
One of my lawns has heavy crabgrass. When I use a 22 HP Husqvarna it seems to lift the grass straighter up and gives a level cut.
When I use a 17.5 HP Ariens the tires smash down the crabgrass and it isn't "lifted" enough to get a level cut. But it straightens up a little after I am done mowing and looks terrible. The Ariens has high lift blades.
I need to get a better cut with the Ariens. Is there a best high lift blade? Any other suggestions?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would inspect the belt tension on the deck. The cleanliness of the under side of the deck and the sharpness of the blades. The blade tip speed should be relatively close. Are they true high lift blades or are they a 3in1 mulch discharge,bag, blade?

bradcash

Threads
They are blades that came with mower. They look like, and the manual confirms, that they are high lift.
I had the same problem before I got these two mowers. A 46" Murray lifted the grass and a 42" John Deere didn't.
I noticed that the Murray's blade housing sat lower to the ground. This maybe "sealed" more air out.

dannyjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
One of my lawns has heavy crabgrass. When I use a 22 HP Husqvarna it seems to lift the grass straighter up and gives a level cut.
When I use a 17.5 HP Ariens the tires smash down the crabgrass and it isn't "lifted" enough to get a level cut. But it straightens up a little after I am done mowing and looks terrible. The Ariens has high lift blades.
I need to get a better cut with the Ariens. Is there a best high lift blade? Any other suggestions?

Gravely and Ariens are the same they suck. Worst mower money can buy