Toro ZTR Z400 - Bypassing the blade clutch during startup

jmessing

Threads
  • / Toro ZTR Z400 - Bypassing the blade clutch during startup
Hi.
I have a 1996 Toro Z400 ZTR. Last year, I started having clutch problems and had the whole assembly replaced by the Toro dealer. This year, the clutch safety sensor is more often than not malfunctioning so that it won't dependably start. Does anyone know how to change the wiring to bypass this sensor so I can start it when I want to? I'm about 95% sure that it's the clutch sensor because if we play with the clutch switch for a while during starting, eventually the starter will kick in and it starts up. Otherwise the mower's working great. As for the safety sensors, I have an old Yazoo commercial walk behind that had all it's safety switches removed except for the deadman switch, so I don't mind no having the safety switches defeated.
- Joe

Last edited:
Threads
IMO its a bad idea to disconnect safety switches, over the years they have been added because of accident prevention. Each safety switch cost money and they would not add them to the machine without a reason.

Fragger

Threads
In my opinion safety switches are there for a reason'; someone bled or they would not have installed them :thumbdown:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The clutch switch is there to protect the mower more than the operator.
Having the clutch in when you are trying to start adds a massive load to the system and many starters are not up to the job.
If it is a manual PTo the switch is about $ 5 and all of 10 minutes to replace.
If it is an electric PTO then the switch is a bit more expensive but if it is playing up on start, it is only a matter of time before it will be giving you grief.