Gts5 idle hunts, won't run slow speed

KeithGill

Threads
Just bought a used garage sale toro gts 5

Runs but hunts up and down at high idle, won't run at low idle

Sat all winter of course.

Don't know if its an idle adjustment or carb rebuild time?

Thanks

Keith

Mike88se

Threads
Just bought a used garage sale toro gts 5

Runs but hunts up and down at high idle, won't run at low idle

Sat all winter of course.

Don't know if its an idle adjustment or carb rebuild time?

Thanks

Keith

Carburetor cleaning should fix it.

Mike88se

Threads
Do you mean literally take apart and clean? What should I clean?
Exactly... wish they could be cleaned w/o taking them apart ;)
Clean every jet and passageway. Post a pic or mower model number and someone here will know that carb and what you should pay particular attention to. It isn't as hard as it sounds.

KeithGill

Threads
Exactly... wish they could be cleaned w/o taking them apart ;)
Clean every jet and passageway. Post a pic or mower model number and someone here will know that carb and what you should pay particular attention to. It isn't as hard as it sounds.

Ok sounds good. I'm sure ill be fine just hate to start and not have a plan.

Model number is 20622 and serial number is 0002167

Mike88se

Threads
Ok sounds good. I'm sure ill be fine just hate to start and not have a plan.

Model number is 20622 and serial number is 0002167

You have a Suzuki engine? Cool. You need to talk to exotion, I'm sure he's worked on that carb. I have a 20107 with the same problem. I think its a Briggs even tho its stamped Toro. Need to clean the carb.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The toro stamp was put on Suzuki engines. Your carb is probably dirty need to take it apart carefully remember where everything goes and get some small wire/ carb cleaner/ compressed air and clean all the passageways out. Let it dry overnight before reassembly. Shake the float close to your ear if gas got it in buy a rebuild kit. Might need to simply buy a new carb they still make them a Google search will probably find a new one

One thing I've noticed with the Suzuki engines is that the valves tend to loosen over time if you can try to adjust them back to specs that info is available on the toro website where you can get a complete operators manual, shop manual, and parts manual all free.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
You have a Suzuki engine? Cool. You need to talk to exotion, I'm sure he's worked on that carb. I have a 20107 with the same problem. I think its a Briggs even tho its stamped Toro. Need to clean the carb.

Send me a couple pics of your engine a better look

KeithGill

Threads
Ok I've taken it apart and cleaned it and it still is running poorly. Basically I can't run it much lower than full speed or somewhere between full and choke more accurately. I find a sweet spot and soon I engage the blade and rpm drops to near stall and it picks up then I engage drive and away I go but it's never running at constant speed.

Isn't there a sprung flap in carb throat that opens and closes according to engine speed? I see it move as engine nears stall. It's working but does this sound like my problem?

Needle valve was screwed down tightly, groove ground into tapered surface , is this critical?

What else do I look at?

Keith