Small lawn, steep hills w/ tight corners

djb132

Forum Newbie
Threads
Trying to decide what to do for a new lawn mower.

My entire lot is ~ 90 x 100, so I'd feel ridiculous on a riding mower (tractor or ZTR).

My current mower is a front wheel self propelled which I have some problems with
1. The wheels lose traction going up the hills

2. I have to wrestle the mower at the fence/house/fence corner on the side. From the house to the side fence is only about 15' (and this is still an incline, adding to the fun)

3. It's nearly impossible to mow in a straight line as the yard is bumpy and the mower jumps around something awful.

4. I'd just deal with the above but my wife hit the cast iron water shut off access & so the mower shakes something awful, even after replacing the blade.

Some reasons I'm even considering something riding (though I'll still feel ridiculous) are:

My previous yard was ~ 1.5 acres of grass. Although it was loaded with weeds & otherwise generally low quality, when I mowed it with a John Deere garden tractor it looked great.

I have 19 acres (currently all wooded) that I plan to build a house on & will need something to mow that lawn with. But this may be a decade away, so it's more of an excuse than a reason!

Mowers like the Cub Cadet CC 760 are close to riding mower prices.

So, what would you use in such a situation?

Thanks,
David

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
David...
If you are going to be at your small less than 90x100 yard for the next 10 years... Get a small push mower and spend the money you save not buying a large mower, improving the yard you have... That small space you should be able to remove all the rough spots including the cast iron water shut off access. You could end up with an incredibly smooth lawn and a little bit of a walk behind your new mower. :laughing: KennyV

Last edited: