troy built pony

jerry1967

Threads
My troy-bilt tires rotate in the oppoiste directions when I jack it up which is normal but when I have it on the ground the tires still rotate in different directions.
Does anybody have a idea what would cause this?

Dravin'sdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
My troy-bilt tires rotate in the oppoiste directions when I jack it up which is normal but when I have it on the ground the tires still rotate in different directions.
Does anybody have a idea what would cause this?
tires spinning opposite directins when you release the cluch pedal?
do you leave it out in the weather? ... the transaxles used arent sealed well and take on water .. you may need to drop the trans and open it up (may be full of greasy gunk that looks like peanutbutter)
mine never did anything that bad before i cleaned it though ... has it in the past felt asif it where slipping and grabbing going down hills? (this also causes rust on the gear slides)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For Dravin's dads information as this post is years old.
The brake works on the layshaft which has the effect of locking the diff so each wheel drives in an opposite direction.
This is the same way the P position works in an auto transmission.
So if the brake locks on the mower will turn the wheels in opposite direction when in the air or if the front of the mower is lifted off the ground.
Obviously if the front has weight on it which prevents the mower turning circles around the rear axel you come to a stop.