• None at All

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Hey Everybody,

Not sure how many of you aerate your lawns... I know that with the big lawns I've had in the past, I didn't really care a whole lot about aeration. Recently, I've been addressing the issue as my lawn had gotten spotty and needed help.

So, in this featured poll, I'd like to know what you guys (and girls) do in terms of aeration: Spike, Core, or None At All?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have, long ago, used core ... but for a long time, too long a time, I have not done any...
In the past I have also used a disc set strait so as not to turn the soil, but rather slice the soil. You have to place a lot of weight on it to get it working right. You are hot using the cup of the disc to pull it into the ground...
Core is by far the best that I have used... and with a lot of acres to do I should have bought one again... but it seem like aeration is easy to postpone and really is one of the easiest, fastest healthy thing you can do for your lawn... :smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
None at all - and my lawn is a nasty mess. :frown:

Pika

Threads
My father-in-law has a spike thing that he uses to pull behind his mower to aerate. We actually haven't done our lawn yet, but I know he'd let us borrow it if we asked; and we might, yet.

grnspot110

Threads
I use a Brinley pull-type core w/weights. ~~ grnspot

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
aerator.jpg

attaches to front or back of the VENTRAC - suitcase weights go on top rail up to 300 Lbs. If more is needed you can use down pressure. We have rock hard red clay soil.

Ventrac

Threads
Responding as a homeowner on this one and not the manufacturer :smile:

I personally can't stand cores and my yard is so tough I use the AERA-Vator (Ventrac AERA-vator Attachments) on my Ventrac 4231. It goes down and breaks the soil rather than simply piercing or coring it!

Edit: Can we add that into the poll :)

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Responding as a homeowner on this one and not the manufacturer :smile:

I personally can't stand cores and my yard is so tough I use the AERA-Vator (Ventrac AERA-vator Attachments) on my Ventrac 4231. It goes down and breaks the soil rather than simply piercing or coring it!

Edit: Can we add that into the poll :)

I agree about the cores in the yard... for me that's all but a deal breaker because it makes the lawn look and feel dirty until those cores break up.

It raises the question, though, whether the benefits of core aeration are as great if you don't fertilize. I wonder if people have tried different methods on different patches of lawn and seen any real difference.