John Deere L115

Dhawring

Forum Newbie
Threads
My john Deere L115 won't start - no fuel going to carb. Gas cap is clear, filter good. Replaced fuel pump. Fuel will not flow? Very frustrating.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You would have more luck if you post up the engine numbers, if it is the Briggs & Stratton 31 then check the fuel solenoid.

Dhawring

Forum Newbie
Threads
Motor is B & S OHV 19 hp. G4 crankshaft whatever that means

mullins87

Threads
Make sure you hear a click at the carb. when you turn the key on, and another when you turn the key off. If you don't, then most likely there is a problem either with the fuel shut off solenoid or the wiring to it. If you do hear that click, then pull the fuel line off at the pump, pull it down as close to the ground as you can get it and let it drain into a gas safe container. If no fuel comes out, then chances are there is a blockage in the fuel line. How much have you cranked on the engine since you changed the fuel pump and filter? Are you certain you don't still have a large air pocket in the line?

Dhawring

Forum Newbie
Threads
Make sure you hear a click at the carb. when you turn the key on, and another when you turn the key off. If you don't, then most likely there is a problem either with the fuel shut off solenoid or the wiring to it. If you do hear that click, then pull the fuel line off at the pump, pull it down as close to the ground as you can get it and let it drain into a gas safe container. If no fuel comes out, then chances are there is a blockage in the fuel line. How much have you cranked on the engine since you changed the fuel pump and filter? Are you certain you don't still have a large air pocket in the line?

There is no fuel in the fuel filter or carb. Fuel has to be drawn out of tank by the pump. You bring up a good point - do I need to prime the system - too much air in it now?
There is no blockage, new filter, new pump, clean cap.

mullins87

Threads
There is no fuel in the fuel filter or carb. Fuel has to be drawn out of tank by the pump. You bring up a good point - do I need to prime the system - too much air in it now?
There is no blockage, new filter, new pump, clean cap.

Does the fuel shutoff solenoid click when you turn the key switch on and off? If it does, then that may not be the problem. It does have a new filter and pump, but what about a possible blockage in the fuel line or tank itself? You can test for fuel flow by disconnecting the fuel line at the pump and putting the open hose end into a safe container, then using your hand and an airline to gently pressurize the fuel tank. If gas runs out the hose, then all is good up to the fuel pump. If not, then you have a blockage. Not exactly a precise test, nor a safe one if you're around a source of ignition, but one best performed out in the yard in a very well ventilated area. If you do have fuel flow, then just move down stream to the pump. Make certain the new pump is working. The vacuum line that operates the pump should have a "pulse" feel to it if you put your thumb over the end of that hose while you crank on the engine. If that checks out, then you should be getting gas to the carb. If after all this you are getting gas to the carb, then you may need to clean the carb out.

Dhawring

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does the fuel shutoff solenoid click when you turn the key switch on and off? If it does, then that may not be the problem. It does have a new filter and pump, but what about a possible blockage in the fuel line or tank itself? You can test for fuel flow by disconnecting the fuel line at the pump and putting the open hose end into a safe container, then using your hand and an airline to gently pressurize the fuel tank. If gas runs out the hose, then all is good up to the fuel pump. If not, then you have a blockage. Not exactly a precise test, nor a safe one if you're around a source of ignition, but one best performed out in the yard in a very well ventilated area. If you do have fuel flow, then just move down stream to the pump. Make certain the new pump is working. The vacuum line that operates the pump should have a "pulse" feel to it if you put your thumb over the end of that hose while you crank on the engine. If that checks out, then you should be getting gas to the carb. If after all this you are getting gas to the carb, then you may need to clean the carb out.

I have checked most everything you have suggested. I took the hose off the fuel pump and put fuel in line to carb. Motor runs great for a while then gets gas starved. I do feel the pulsation from the vacuum line from engine. The line from tank to fuel filter is clear, however you can see gas is not filling the filter. Weird. I guess it's possible the new pump is bad but seems unlikely.

mullins87

Threads
Since the engine runs when you put gas into the line, the fuel shut off solenoid is working. It is possible the new pump is bad. However, you mentioned the line from the tank to the pump is clear....how did you determine this? Also, are you certain you have the fuel filter installed the correct way. There should be an arrow on it somewhere showing which way the fuel should flow.

Dhawring

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since the engine runs when you put gas into the line, the fuel shut off solenoid is working. It is possible the new pump is bad. However, you mentioned the line from the tank to the pump is clear....how did you determine this? Also, are you certain you have the fuel filter installed the correct way. There should be an arrow on it somewhere showing which way the fuel should flow.

Was off for a week and think I have resolved issue. I bought 2 feet of fuel line put it in a gas can and ran it directly into fuel pump. Still did not work pointing again to fuel pump which is brand new. Removed fuel pump totally and noticed a P on one of the ports which I assume means "pulse". I changed connections putting vacuum line to P port. Engine runs great. I had the fuel lines connected wrong which is hard to believe since they fit so naturally. I now have the original fuel pump on and it's working. The question remains what was the original problem? I believe the gas cap vent was clogged because I fixed that after I replaced the fuel pump and mixed the lines. Amazing waste of time but glad to have fixed. Thank you very much for your help!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well done, pleased you have it fixed..:thumbsup: