Engine JD with Kawasaki FC 420V DS00 Engine

meck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Members,
New member here, I have a JD 170 lawn tractor that is getting no spark. I was cranking the engine and it backfired 2 times through muffler and wouldn't start
I could smell strong odor of fuel so I pulled the plug out, I was soaked with gas. I checked for spark and no spark is present, my guess it could be the coil or igniter
but would like some feed back if anyone else had this problem and what I need to do to get my tractor running again....My grass is getting high

capthook

Forum Newbie
Threads
You must have had spark to get it to backfire.
Does that one have the small chrome ignition trigger on the side?
I've had to replace the one on my 175.

meck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes I have the igniter on the side of the motor...now it runs. But now everytime I hit the switch to engage the blades the enginge stops like it is killing the spark no matter how high I have the rpms

capthook

Forum Newbie
Threads
sounds like one of your safety switches are defective.

plateauman57

Threads
Hi Members,
New member here, I have a JD 170 lawn tractor that is getting no spark. I was cranking the engine and it backfired 2 times through muffler and wouldn't start
I could smell strong odor of fuel so I pulled the plug out, I was soaked with gas. I checked for spark and no spark is present, my guess it could be the coil or igniter
but would like some feed back if anyone else had this problem and what I need to do to get my tractor running again....My grass is getting high

Any thoughts of buying a new engine? I have an older walk behind that my son bought and I fixed it up but it's belt driven and not the easiest to mow with. The engine (fc420v) runs great and the mower cuts wonderful but it's a hand full. Have thought about selling it just to get the $400 I've got into it back

meck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Plateauman57.
Sorry but not looking to buy a new engine, I got mine operational again, But thank you for the offer
Meck

jakeamondo

Threads
The 170 was built for 1 year 1989. Your serial # is probably between 009054 - 028504. It was replaced by the LX172, that's what i have. My manual covers the LX172 thru LX188. The 170 and LX172 actually share some parts, including the igniter. If your engine shuts off when you activate the mower it could be a bunch of things, but it sounds like the seat switch, PTO switch, or the wiring connecting them. The seat switch prevents starting while in gear via the neutral switch and will kill the engine if the PTO is activated and your not in the seat. You can start the engine in neutral without being in the seat as long as the PTO isn't activated. The fact that you have spark and engine is getting gas, i cant see anything else that it could be. The backfire can be caused by the engine being shut off at full throttle by the seat switch or the ignition switch they both do the same thing via the same wire that grounds out the coil. The igniter generally causes a no start condition or a stall after getting warm. Make sure the mower isn't causing the problem, if the blades aren't moving freely its like trying to drive a car with a manual in 4th gear from a dead start. Try activating the PTO in neutral. Also check the seat switch with a continuity meter. I have been snow plowing, cutting the lawn, and using a cart to haul stuff with my 172 for over 20 years. Never had a problem until recently. The igniter failed and it was hard to figure figure out. A bad igniter causes no spark and also shuts off the gas via a solenoid at the carburetor. Yours has a float switch in the gas tank, that might be why your plug was soaked, all the gas in the fuel line continues to enter the engine. Please let me know how you make out.

meck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I really thank you for all the info...I got the tractor running by changing the igniter and the coil. It also runs now with the blades engaged.I took off the 2 wire plug off by the pto switch cleaned the connections replaced the plug to the switch and now it runs with blades engaged. Maybe I just got lucky..lol and as far as the seat saftey switch I bypassed that long ago.
Thanks again
Meck

meck

Forum Newbie
Threads
But now I am looking to replace the 2 belts for the Deck, Belt for the blades and the belt that goes from the engine to the deck...any info on the part #'s for the belts
Thank you for any help.
Meck

jakeamondo

Threads
38" MOWER BELT M82462. DRIVE BELT M86996. Glad you got it running! That igniter is an expensive little thing, its also an amazing piece of electronics. it replaced the old points ignition, which probably would have failed yearly. I just realized I gave you the drive belt not the pto to deck belt. The primary belt from PTO to deck is M77988

Last edited: