Is this a good buy?

Honey

Threads
Are you buying it from the local dealer, or the catalog? What kind of warranty are you getting? All these things are important, I find buying from the dealer is usually cheaper, some times you can beat them down lower.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you buying it from the local dealer, or the catalog? What kind of warranty are you getting? All these things are important, I find buying from the dealer is usually cheaper, some times you can beat them down lower.

Not trying to be critical, but Sears has not had a catalog for a LONG time, and there are no real Craftsman dealers, just retail stores.

Quote: "SOMETIMES YOU CAN BEAT THEM DOWN LOWER"...

FOR SHAME!! :laughing: I have NEVER tried to beat a dealer down, haggle about the selling price yes, but BEAT DOWN, no....:biggrin:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
CRAFTSMAN /MD 24HP B&S 42'' Hydrostatic Yard Tractor - Sears | Sears Canada

We are leaning towards a Craftsman because my Father in law has every attachment known to man for his Craftsman, so we wouldn't need attachments right away, also we could try them out to see which suit us best.

Just took a look at the tractor, it's a practical, powerful engine size and respectable width of deck cut. By attachments, I think you mean ground engaging type, not sure if the ones your FIL has would fit, Sears sells so many different models of yard and garden tractors I don't know about interchangability...just because they are the same brand name doesn't mean attachments will interchange between tractors.

indypower

Threads
That is a yard tractor. It won't take many attatchments. To use attatchment you need a garden tractor.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is a yard tractor. It won't take many attatchments. To use attatchment you need a garden tractor.

I beg to differ...many yard tractors will take a plow blade, dump cart, rear bagger, etc. Those are attachments, IMO.

Madi

Threads
I was not aware there was that much of a difference. The one my father in law has is same type, this is just the newer model and he has attachments for his so we could use them.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was not aware there was that much of a difference. The one my father in law has is same type, this is just the newer model and he has attachments for his so we could use them.

Compare the model number of the one your FIL has to the one you want to buy. Many Craftsman lawn and garden tractors look alike but underneath there can be major differences. I may be wrong but I think the Sears.com website would be able to provide information on which tractors can use the same attachment numbers.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with some of the posts - you want to make sure the "attachments" will fit if you intend to swap or borrow. Double Check before you buy !

Madi

Threads
My father in law has done a fair bit of research for me too and assures me they will be interchangeable. He is a well educated man so I do trust his word.