best box

kenmac

Forum Newbie
Threads
what is the best box store riding mower toro, jd, cub, husky ,etc,,?? looking for 42'' cut.

Should I just flip the coin ?? They are all probably MTD'S anyway

indypower

Threads
Depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. HomeDepot has Poulan, I think Lowes has Husqvarna, Sears has Craftsman all of which are AYP and better than MTD in quality.
Toro & John Deere are NOT MTD. Both are much better quality than either MTD or AYP. But you are going to pay.

dnjsyl

Threads
i would personally stay away from the newer cubs......any cubs up to 1990 is pretty good, but the newer ones are not as dependable....my opinion........try looking for and older tractor, there are plenty out there for sale.....there are some good deals too. for a new tractor, i would take a look at the craftsmans...they are last ing a long time nowadays....good luck

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
what is the best box store riding mower toro, jd, cub, husky ,etc,,?? looking for 42'' cut.

Should I just flip the coin ?? They are all probably MTD'S anyway

The MTD family of brands includes Cub Cadet, Cub Cadet Commercial, Cub Cadet Yanmar, Troy-Bilt, White Outdoor, Yard-Man, Yard Machines, Bolens, Arnold, GardenWay, MTD Pro and MTD Gold. As far as a box store you would be making a mistake buying from them IMO. The problem with buying from a big box store is getting the thing fixed if something happens. I've been that route, it's know fun. You're better off buying from an independent dealer, just my opinion.

Last edited:

kenmac

Forum Newbie
Threads
so, the jd's sold at lowes aren't built mtd ??. I have a 20 yr old MTD that still runs & cuts good. engine is starting to use oil. It's only a 12.5 hp & I just want to upgrade to a newer mower with more hp . The box stores offer more choices now . Just wanted to know if they were all build by the same company just different names on the mowers

noma

Threads
Hi I would say it depend on how much you have to mow if you are mowing acres then i would get a better one because you are going to have to replace it sooner, if you get one from a box store life for those is about 3 to 4 years and the more you mow the more it shorten it life . If you mow a lot get a mower from a independent dealer.We are in a kind-a throw away world now.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
so, the jd's sold at lowes aren't built mtd ??. I have a 20 yr old MTD that still runs & cuts good. engine is starting to use oil. It's only a 12.5 hp & I just want to upgrade to a newer mower with more hp . The box stores offer more choices now . Just wanted to know if they were all build by the same company just different names on the mowers

No the jd's sold at lowes aren't built buy mtd, there just a cheaper grade of jd mowers. The big box stores make deals with manufactures to supply exclusive products at an attractive price. The key is to be sure you properly compare the specifications of the mowers. The reality is you're buying a model that's not built to the same standard or quality as the mowers built by JD or Cub Cadet or any manufacturer or that a JD or CC dealer would sell that's the reason you can buy them cheap. The old saying holds true, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

indypower

Threads
The John Deeres at the box stores are NOT the same as what you would find at John Deere dealer and a Deere dealer can NOT do any warranty work on a Deere from a box store. The Deeres at the box stores only offer B&S engines. At the dealer, you can also get Kohler, Kawasaki engines and you get a much better tranaxle.

jimbo64

Threads
The John Deeres at the box stores are NOT the same as what you would find at John Deere dealer and a Deere dealer can NOT do any warranty work on a Deere from a box store. The Deeres at the box stores only offer B&S engines. At the dealer, you can also get Kohler, Kawasaki engines and you get a much better tranaxle.

THE ONLY THING JD AT THE BOX STORES IS THE COLOR GREEN- SPEND THE EXTRA BUCKS AND BUY FROM A DEALER THAT WILL HELP YOU IF YOU HAVE A PROB- HAVE A JD -9 YRS OLD-WITH 20 HP KAWASAKI AND IT RUNS AS NEW--------HAS 525 HRS ON IT----GT245-YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
THERE ARE SOME GOOD ONES USED OUT THERE ALSO-------FRIEND JUST BOUGHT ONE AT AN ESTATE SALE.:wink: