Self Propelled mower mechanism

Papaw50

Threads
How does a walk behind self propelled mower work?

Mine is a 6 hp Troy-Bilt front wheel drive..

I've checked the cable, and it looks fine, but it doesn't engage the wheels when I pull on the lever at the handlebar.

Thanks,
Gary

Never mind, I figured it out (sort of).
It is a cable issue. I started it, jacked up the front end, and operated the lever by hand, and the wheels kicked in just fine. I'll soak the cable in lube, and re-try it.

Thanks anyway, Gary

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gary..
If you can get oil or graphite inside the cable it will help.
also you may try to adjust the length or the inner cable OR reposition the outer cable cover... either will effect the distance the inner will move... :smile:KennyV

Papaw50

Threads
I soaked the cable in some used Transmissions fluid overnight, and that freed it up.
However, there are some kinks in the cable that need to be straightened.

After a couple hours of trying to straighten it, I've decided I need to invest in or find a better cable.

Thanks,
Gary

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I soaked the cable in some used Transmissions fluid overnight, and that freed it up.
However, there are some kinks in the cable that need to be straightened.

After a couple hours of trying to straighten it, I've decided I need to invest in or find a better cable.

Thanks,
Gary

The cable for the drive on my 5 year old Yard Man self propelled broke, I priced a cable on the MTD site, it was about $19 and shipping. If the cheap b------s who make the cables would lube them at the factory they would last forever...ticks me off.