Mower
    Greenworks, WORX, Earthwise, LG Chem

Are electric leaf blowers quieter than gas ?

Not necessarily. I've compared three blowers, one gas, one corded electric and one battery powered unit below, using the manufacturer's published specifications:

Echo PB-250LN two-cycle gas handheld blower: 391 CFM and 65 dB(A) - I own this and it's very quiet (no ear protection required).

Black & Decker LH5000 (Leafhog) corded electric handheld blower: 385 CFM and 69 dB(A) - I own this and it's so loud that I need to wear ear protection.

Ryobi RY40411 (Jet Fan Blower) battery powered handheld blower: 300 CFM and 67.4 db(A) - This is a new high flow rate model from Ryobi.

So, as can be seen in the specific examples above, battery and corded electric blowers are actually louder than a two-cycle engine gas blower. Of course, there are quieter electric blowers than those shown above, but they are wimpy sweeper units that are incapable of doing serious leaf blowing.
    Last edited by MowerMike; 04-10-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Mower
    YTH24V42LS

Re: Are electric leaf blowers quieter than gas ?

A-weighting is simply not suitable for making this kind of comparison for a variety of reasons that you can read for yourself on the Wikipedia page that describes it. The best way to assess the noise is to listen to them in a normal use scenario and see what YOU think they sound like. Subjective? Sure. But then, isn't a selection based on noise level subjective already?

Mower
    YTH24V42LS

Re: Are electric leaf blowers quieter than gas ?

Oh, forgot....

I also have one of those Echo PB-250LN and agree that it's noticeably quieter (I'd estimate a highly subjective 10-ish dB) than a similar Stihl blower. If it weren't for the fact that the Echo is a left-handed blower, I'd never have bought the Stihl, which is right-handed. And hard starting. And difficult to keep running. And prone to vapor-lock on really hot days.)