More than you ever wanted to know about oil filters

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow a lot of info

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
I run Wix filters in all my engines!! There the best ones I have found.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will keep using wix

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The contaminates??? Plenty of dirt and ground metal is available. Why were they not used? Worn engines develop less pressure. What was the pressure used? How about heat , a critical item in the air cooled engines?

Nevertheless, thanks for the reference. If it gets owners thinking about proper maintenance it is very worthwhile!!:thumbsup:

tybilly

Threads
I will keep using wix[/QOTE]

the steel mill I work at makes steel for wix and Purolator,so buy em up.lol....and theyre very picky about the quality of the steel they buy.

Mike88se

Threads
I didn't expect (or want) to change anybody's preference with that post. Just info. We all like what we like and once it gets ingrained it's hard to change opinion. I still won't buy Fram filters even though reports say they have improved. Somebody mentioned cellulose or some synthetic filter element material. I think most filters have good enough filtering media. It seems to be the rest of the filter.. the construction and housing, that separates the good filters from the bad. Also flow capability measured against filtering quality. I believe that study or another mentioned that some filters are so effective that they filter out some of the important oil additives and even restrict flow too much. Also seems an anti- drainback valve isn't important on a vertical mounted filter. Makes sense. My hydraulic filter is vertically mounted... maybe they all are, I'm new to hydraulics. I'm not returning the new filter just because it has the valve tho ;)
I'm still considering whether to use the Mobil1 cross referenced filter on the hydraulics. Its supposed to be equivalent to the Gravely/Zinco filter but...
BTW I saw a Walmart ad for a clearance sale on Mobil1 M1402EP two packs for $10 if anybody uses that filter.

tybilly

Threads
I use the cheap Chinese aftermarket filter from my supplier,box of 12 for 25.00.:smile:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The contaminates??? Plenty of dirt and ground metal is available. Why were they not used? Worn engines develop less pressure. What was the pressure used? How about heat , a critical item in the air cooled engines?

Nevertheless, thanks for the reference. If it gets owners thinking about proper maintenance it is very worthwhile!!:thumbsup:

He said it was a simple bench test not a certified test. The kind anyone could do. But I agree there is something to be missed here but none the less its still good information.