do you trust permatex on rocker covers?

Mike88se

Threads
Like Permatex high temp RTV. Just curious. I wouldn't trust it on a car but the mating surfaces its going to be used on are flat. Seems like it would work fine. There isn't a lot of pressure there. I think I'll try it and order some gaskets in case of seepage.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If installed properly on a clean dry surface, you will about bend the cover trying to get it loose from the block. Hondabond is one that you will destroy the valve cover trying to get it loose. Have bent briggs covers more than once.

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
I would replace gaskets with gaskets. Rtv is great for a thin sealing bead. Not to be used as the only seal.

Like Permatex high temp RTV. Just curious. I wouldn't trust it on a car but the mating surfaces its going to be used on are flat. Seems like it would work fine. There isn't a lot of pressure there. I think I'll try it and order some gaskets in case of seepage.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
RTV RED is the best thing for valve covers and exhaust manifolds.

Every race engine builder I know will tell you to use RTV RED and not header or valve cover gaskets.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I even use it on my briggs v twin crankcase cover ( sump cover as some that don't know call it )

tybilly

Threads
I use ultrablack, on a rocker cover or RTV, I know on a kohler magnum that's used on about every mating surface except heads and intake manifold,

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I dont use gasket sealant. I replace it with the right gasket. I just use it on automotive stuff. I use the Ultra Copper.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gaskets should be replaced with gaskets, especially where the gasket sets the side clearances. Briggs, and several of the other engine makers, have eliminated the valve cover gasket, and are nowing using RTV sealant. Either black or grey. If used properly on clean dry surfaces it will glue the parts together, and will take some effort to separate.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I can buy a gasket that is what I will use. I have used the RTV through the years for valve covers and find it also works just fine. The only thing I don't like about the RTV is it is messy. Now we are only talking about valve covers here right? Because ILENGINE is talking about side clearance?

Mike88se

Threads
Gaskets should be replaced with gaskets, especially where the gasket sets the side clearances. Briggs, and several of the other engine makers, have eliminated the valve cover gasket, and are nowing using RTV sealant. Either black or grey. If used properly on clean dry surfaces it will glue the parts together, and will take some effort to separate.
Yep, the gluing the parts together the mess of removing the RTV when/if I ever need to get to the rockers again is my only concern but scraping old gasket material can be a huge PITA too. And I've read that a lot of car makers are using RTV now.

If I can buy a gasket that is what I will use. I have used the RTV through the years for valve covers and find it also works just fine. The only thing I don't like about the RTV is it is messy. Now we are only talking about valve covers here right? Because ILENGINE is talking about side clearance?
I like gaskets to if I can run down to the parts store and get them. With car engines I can do that. And yes it was valve/rocker covers. No worries about clearance or raising/lowering compression. I don't think I'd use RTV for head gaskets... not on a car anyway. But the last few times I had rocker covers (and oil pans) off a vehicle the gasket material was... silicone ;)