do you trust permatex on rocker covers?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also we are talking about lawn mowers. I don't work on very many cars or trucks any more but still do when forced into it. When it comes to comes to cars or trucks I find that gaskets and torques are all different then working on a lawn mower. I find the gaskets on cars are designed to work with the bolt torque and not like the old days when you could throw a engine together with a air wrench. Also its nothing to get over 200 thousand miles with a car anymore. I am happy to be getting out of the repair business.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just called a shop to get a gasket. Guy said we have it it is $20 ok I said I will send my wife. She gets to the shop a guy tells her the owner left and he is the only one that can sell a part come back in a hour. But wait it gets better.
She stops at auto zone to get a brown bottle of gasket tack the dumb azz gives her a tube of ultra black RTV

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I usually shy away from taking a job that has an engine oozing with permatex. The only places I ever use it would be on the
Briggs air filter housing gaskets with the primer bulb with the gasket. And of course on engine applications that came from the factory with sealants and no gaskets....

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I usually shy away from taking a job that has an engine oozing with permatex. The only places I ever use it would be on the
Briggs air filter housing gaskets with the primer bulb with the gasket. And of course on engine applications that came from the factory with sealants and no gaskets....

Can i ask why you put it on the briggs air filter housing?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, I have replaced all of that new, and still not had it prime like it should......

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
The briggs quantum engines are bad about warping the primmer plate/air filter base. Clean and be sure that it has a good prime pulse. I always double gasket the primer plate on the quantum engines.

Well, I have replaced all of that new, and still not had it prime like it should......

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remember this is a sample of one (rider)... the valve cover gasket on the Intek can be used over and over IMO because there is no real oil load reaching the valve area. When adjusting the valves no more than a teaspoon is released. (If this engine had more oil feed , and thus cooling, the head would run cooler) Any way for the last 3 adjustments I have reused the gasket in its compressed state, even with a tear in one upper section.

During the two teadrdowns (engine pushed guide and then ate pushrod) the paper sump gasket was lightly coated with RTV, and remained tight for years until the sump bolts backed out and stood on their heads waiting for me to discover them. Crankcase pressure blew out a piece of gasket when the pan loosened and it has leaked since.

Permatex seems preferred for coating headbolt threads which must be sealed to prevent auto coolant from reaching the head.

Edit. sorry , wasn't aware they made RTV. I was referring to the thick, black stuff you cannot get off your hands.

Last edited:

tybilly

Threads
I just saw a headline for an advertisement on here for custom made gaskets,,how ironic..lol

Mike88se

Threads
Remember this is a sample of one (rider)... the valve cover gasket on the Intek can be used over and over IMO because there is no real oil load reaching the valve area. When adjusting the valves no more than a teaspoon is released. (If this engine had more oil feed , and thus cooling, the head would run cooler) Any way for the last 3 adjustments I have reused the gasket in its compressed state, even with a tear in one upper section.

During the two teadrdowns (engine pushed guide and then ate pushrod) the paper sump gasket was lightly coated with RTV, and remained tight for years until the sump bolts backed out and stood on their heads waiting for me to discover them. Crankcase pressure blew out a piece of gasket when the pan loosened and it has leaked since.

Permatex seems preferred for coating headbolt threads which must be sealed to prevent auto coolant from reaching the head.
I wouldn't hesitate to try reusing a rocker cover gasket but I'd keep a close eye on it til I was reasonable sure it wasn't going to leak. Reusing these gaskets wasn't an option tho... too many pieces. The valve clearances seem good now and there's no leak so I won't have anything to worry about til the next time it needs adjustment. I used Permatex "the right stuff" RTV so I think it should come off pretty easy. Probably no harder to clean off than than old gasket material. That's what I'm hoping anyway ;) I've replaced a few parts on cars where it took hours to get the surfaces clean of old gasket material.