Square rear shaft key problem

abrunk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I posted here as to the proper way to install a square key into a rear wheel shaft, and received a couple of great answers, thanks. So today I tried to install it.

I have a Craftsman 2 model # 917256921. I ordered the Square Key # 123583 from Sears, and received it.
The key is too big.

The (key) slot width of the shaft is .185 the key is .250 square. I chatted with Sears and they say it's the correct key. It's not even close. My question to the forum is....Can I hammer in an Allen wrench that measures .192. I plan on finishing the repairs to this mower, remove the deck and use it as a rider to tow a small cart. Has anyone run into this problem?
Thanks
Allen

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I posted here as to the proper way to install a square key into a rear wheel shaft, and received a couple of great answers, thanks. So today I tried to install it. I have a Craftsman 2 model # 917256921. I ordered the Square Key # 123583 from Sears, and received it. The key is too big. The (key) slot width of the shaft is .185 the key is .250 square. I chatted with Sears and they say it's the correct key. It's not even close. My question to the forum is....Can I hammer in an Allen wrench that measures .192. I plan on finishing the repairs to this mower, remove the deck and use it as a rider to tow a small cart. Has anyone run into this problem? Thanks Allen

Yes you can hammer in a Allen wrench. I have done it a couple times. It's best to use one that is not so tight that you can't get the wheel off again.