z-beast

demhustler

Threads
My BLackberry got a hit that said it's the Beast Z, a 54 inch cut, 653cc, 22 hp (yes, it's a Subaru engine) 7-gage deck (that is HEAVY DUTY) I like the color, medium orange..has 3 customer reviews online all gave it 5 stars out of 5 possible. Can't find a price though. What is weird is I got a hit on LMF for the same mower, last post was November 12, 2010...gotta look that up here.

no, deck - 12 gage steel, as they trying to explain, they come-up with "7 gage" number: one (and only, single) reinforcement of "Beast's" 12 gage steel deck makes it equal to single 7 gage steel; so with some average percentages they made up 7-gage number (not 8, not 6)... : )))) - ridiculous explanation to justify lying and misleading people to believe, their deck made from 7-gage steel like all commercial duty decks, with all double-triple reinforcements all commercial decks have... simple case of false advertising and deception (true data about deck built material - withheld and not shown by "z beast")

p.s. pict and link to HD site http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Attachments

• the.beast.hd1.JPG
    the.beast.hd1.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

looking

Forum Newbie
Threads
no, deck - 12 gage steel, as they trying to explain, they come-up with "7 gage" number: one (and only, single) reinforcement of "Beast's" 12 gage steel deck makes it equal to single 7 gage steel; so with some average percentages they made up 7-gage number (not 8, not 6)... : )))) - ridiculous explanation to justify lying and misleading people to believe, their deck made from 7-gage steel like all commercial duty decks, with all double-triple reinforcements all commercial decks have... simple case of false advertising and deception (true data about deck built material - withheld and not shown by "z beast")

I dont understand can you please explain in layman terms? Thanks

nv1z

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone ever tried this mower? Zero turn that sells at home depo. It has a subaru engine on it. Just never heard of them. But the price is fair and the mower looks pretty tuff.

The Subaru engine is not the typical boxer engine found in Subaru cars but many power tools sold by Home Depot have the Subaru engine and there are good reports of reliability on the engine at least.

Richard Kahn
SubaruHighMileageClub dot com

txzrider

Threads
wow the reviews on the home depot web site do not spin a positive picture!!

Maflaya

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought this, by the time it came home after taxes it was around $3800. I'm a home user with 3/4 acre of grass. I had a John Deere 111 riding mower for nearly 21 years which I spent around $500 for all those years in repairs until the engine blew up after a Valve job. Getting a new engine & having it installed was expensive so i decided to look around for a new better alternative mower. Hopefully this time a Zero turn Mower.

FYI I'm a home owner and it was really going to be tough to sell to my wife that I had spent over 7k on a new zero turn mower [like a scag ,etc] so I bought this unit on august 2011. Being made in the USA was a great incentive to buy too.

As soon as it came out of the box it would not drive straight [as previously mentioned here]. I spent hours on the phone with the manufacturer trying to get this thing fine tuned so It would drive straight without keeping one handle back. [uneven handle position to keep it straight on level ground]

Before I had 8 hrs on the thing, the hydros specially the left one was leaking what seamed to me like a lot of hydro fluid. This same thing has been reported by others all over the internet. I called the manufacturers help line [919-550-3221 ext 1] company told me that this was "normal" since they had a lot of extra fluid on the Hydros, Before 10 hrs the mower not only was not going straight, I had to park it [for 2 hours minimum] after 15 mins of use so the hydro fluid could cool down and I could drive it straight and put it back in the garage. Hours on the phone with the manufacturer... "try this, try that" nothing worked 100%, it pretty much was trial and error. Unfortunately, I travel a lot for my job so I could not spend every weekend working on this thing.

I parked inside for the winter and opened up again for season 2012. I realized the left hyro was shot so I called GXI to see if they could send me a new one. They blame it on the peelers hydros and don't want to take ANY responsability for a mover that has less than a year of Home owners service! Since I had moved to a new house and all receipts and stuff where in boxes, I could not provide the receipt [even though I did have a credit card charge for the mower]. After 2 days of back and forth conversations they decided that since I could not provide the receipt [mower had less than 12 hrs on meter] they decided they would NOT provide a warranty. I called home depot, they said call the manufacturer for the warranty. I had to buy the Hydro and pay for shipping too ! That set me back around $350.

Then finding a repair service that will work on this thing provided to be impossible. Even though their website has over 20 places that are within 2 hours drive, NOT ONE PLACE new they were in the list of repair center on GXI website , never had they heard of a Z beast, NEVER had they had any training on these machines, NEVER had they signed a contract to be a service center! How I know this, I called everyone within 2 hour drive distance one way that GXI had on their website as a repair place. Now 09/2012, with less than 17 hrs on the mower of light home owner use. I got the drydros drive belt snap in half. This also broke a metal part that holds the fine tuning of the hydros. Now the belts is $68 at Home depot and who knows what the other part is. There is 2 week wait on the belt too. This is not an easy mower to work on. You pretty much need a car lift to raise up and work on it. I though It would be years before I would be having such problems. I could keep you here for a long time explaining what I've been though with this mower in 17 hrs of operation. I'm going to fix it again and if I cant sell for half what I paid for it, I will be donating to my unions charity to see if they can make better use of it. I will start saving for a real zero turn [ not this POS] and be going back to real store and buy a regular riding mower. I'm Done with the Z-beast and the GXI company. So much for buying from the small guy made in America deal... I know a lawyer will get on this company sooner or later and get an Et al lawsuit and win millions. Northern Tools also sells this same mower with a different name. Be careful with this company and if I where you don't buy anything that has a Z beast or GXI name on it. To end, I would appreciate anyone who owns a Z-beast and is having the same problems to please contact me via email. I will try to get a lawyer that might want to get a bunch of us and sue the GXI company.

This from someone who wrote about this mower: I purchased this mower through Home Depot online - it now has 50 hours on it, and I have spent countless time repairing it. Now the triaxle drive has burnt out and Home Depot will not stand behind it. I have owned the mower for less than 90 days. It throws belts, bolts continue to rattle out of it, you cannot adjust the deck as it was shipped to me out of alignment, it is nearly impossible to adjust the hydrostatic drive so that the mower does not move when it is supposed to be in neutral, no-one knows where to get parts for it, and no-one wants to work on it because they have never heard of it before. BUY A DIFFERENT BRAND FROM A DIFFERENT VENDOR!

Maflaya

Forum Newbie
Threads
From others.... and the're tons of these reports on the web

1-This form others who have commented on the Z-beast brand: I purchased this mower through Home Depot online - it now has 50 hours on it, and I have spent countless time repairing it. Now the triaxle drive has burnt out and Home Depot will not stand behind it. I have owned the mower for less than 90 days. It throws belts, bolts continue to rattle out of it, you cannot adjust the deck as it was shipped to me out of alignment, it is nearly impossible to adjust the hydrostatic drive so that the mower does not move when it is supposed to be in neutral, no-one knows where to get parts for it, and no-one wants to work on it because they have never heard of it before. BUY A DIFFERENT BRAND FROM A DIFFERENT VENDOR!

2-with only 8 hours on it,it took them 2 months to fix the transmission wanted to sharpen the blades and my impact couldnt get the bolts loose had to use my 3/4 inch drive diesel set to get the blades off after they repaired it it seems to be doing better but they belt comes off a lot i tightened the adjustment of the drive belt and seems to not come off now however the blades dont stop all the way unlike the usual mowers with the cheap deck that bends with the lightest bump the commercial deck is stout and very stury and the engine seems good my worry is the transmission may not be stout enough for the extra weight of the deck also the factory had called and asked me if i wanted to take part in a recall which she didnt tell me what the recall was but said a mechanic call within a month but never did also lastly the factory is almost imposible to get on the phone the phone just rings.

3-Mower was on back order for a long time. Quality appears to have suffered in a rush to get caught up with demand. Have only 7 hours on meter and bolts falling out, nuts coming loose, belt off track, throttle cable loose and rubbing moving parts, gas leak at filter, belt guides loose and almost falling off. This mower is used for residential, hate to think what shape it would be in if I had to earn my money with this mower. Do not recommend based on product or service

4-Overall a nice unit when functioning. However, unit is at the dealer's shop for repair. With under 6 hours on it the Hydraulic drive belt continues to come off. There is a metal squeaking noise in that same area. I am rethinking my purchase depending upon what the dealer states the issues are.

nick10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone ever tried this mower? Zero turn that sells at home depo. It has a subaru engine on it. Just never heard of them. But the price is fair and the mower looks pretty tuff.

I purchase one last week from a man who just bought it form Home Depot. and it had only 23 hrs on a working meter and it look like a new one. I mowed with it for 20 minutes and the right side hydro drive pulley fell off because of a e ring that came off. I called the factory 4 times over a 2 days and they finally returned my call. Because I am the 2nd owner it is not warrantied. The parts cost $155.00 to repair it. The drive belts are made in China and the overall quality is very poor design . The ROPS rattles so bad that I removed it. The tires are like racing slick and give very poor traction. The left side hydro is very weak. This is a 31 HP. with a 62 in. deck and it grass 4 in. tall it bogged the mower down. The company give very poor support and I would not recommend this mower to anyone. I understand why the 1 st. owner wanted to sell this mower!! I called Home Depot corporate office and they would not give any support to this product!
I would never recommend buying a mower from a box stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, Menards for the quality of these units are very poor.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
wow the reviews on the home depot web site do not spin a positive picture!!

txzrider,
Neither do the subsequent posts by user maflaya and nick10:0(
Wow, and some users wonder why I/we never recommend buying a multi-thousand dollar ZTR from a big box store!!

Threads
txzrider,
Neither do the subsequent posts by user maflaya and nick10:0(
Wow, and some users wonder why I/we never recommend buying a multi-thousand dollar ZTR from a big box store!!

Yeah, and that zero-turn (made by Beast Power Equipment) is ONLY available at Home Depot, unlike other brands (like Honda, Echo,etc.) where you could also get them from a dealer. :rolleyes:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, and that zero-turn (made by Beast Power Equipment) is ONLY available at Home Depot, unlike other brands (like Honda, Echo,etc.) where you could also get them from a dealer. :rolleyes:

There actually made by GXI outdoor Power equipment, They make DEK, Stanley, Beast and some others. GXi Outdoor Power, LLC develops, manufactures and sells a range of outdoor power equipment including commercial lawn mowers, brush mowers, pressure washers, chipper shredders, snow blowers and portable generators for residential, professional and commercial mowing applications. GXi is a Licensee of Stanley Black & Decker. Buy now in our online store featuring new scratch & dent and reconditioned outdoor power equipment.
IMG_1073.JPG
The products are sold under several brands including STANLEY®, Beast® (The Home Depot®) and DEK®. Products of GXi are sold through authorized retailers such as Home Depot, Lowe’s, Sears, BJs, Target, Northern Tool, Amazon.com, PED, The Sportsmans Guide, CPO, and Global. GXi also offers Scratch and Dent products factory direct to customers. Genuine parts are available online or through the over 1,000 authorized service centers for all GXi products.
GXi differentiates its products through innovative designs, exclusive features, high quality, low cost manufacturing, strong marketing and superior customer service. Headquartered in Clayton, NC, the company employs over 200 employees with worldwide operations in: Phoenix, AZ, Hong Kong, Fuzhou and Liaocheng, China.

GXi Outdoor Power| Stanley | Beast | Dek